Whatta you all thinkk, '82 CJ-7??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Whatta you all thinkk, \'82 CJ-7???

I ran across an '82 CJ-7 the other day that I can likely get for less than a grand (hopefully a lot less). Here's the specs:
6 cyl (120K miles?)
5 spd trans (likely T5)
Dana 300
Suspension appears stock
Hard Top
No doors
Body thrashed (read very rusty)
Frame seemed solid (only looked briefly though, will check thoroughly if I decide to go back)

Started right up w/a jump
I did not not drive it but trans and xfer case seemed to shift fine.

It's at a local garage who is selling it for someone else. The mechanic said the guy's asking $1000 but for $800 I could take it right then. My wife will likely leave [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] if I bring another Heap (I mean Jeep) home but if I can get it for ( [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] insert dollar amount here, this is what I'm asking) should I consider it? I already have a project CJ-7, but also tons of extra parts to put into the thing, but it's like crack, I can't seem to quit looking for more deals. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:44 PM

Re: Whatta you all thinkk, \'82 CJ-7???

well if the bodys as rusty as you say, then I would REALLY look at that frame. more than likely its rusted badly too.
if its got parts you can use, or you have another reason to get it, I would say tell him $500 cash and see what happens.

I don't know what kinda need for the remaining parts would be, but I would say you could get $800 or so if you can part it out. IMHO
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:22 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Sorry, why exactly were you thinking of this? To me it doesn't sound like it has many redeeming parts, and since the body is toast, that's about all it'd be. Personally I'd pass on it for that price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Why am I thinkin about this??? Good question. Because it was there, maybe? Like I said it's worse than crack! If it is a running, driving Jeep, I could fix it up a bit and have a Jeep to drive in again and probably re-sell it or part it out for resale. My CJ-7 has been in pieces for almost 2 years and my Willys isn't too practical for tooling around in (hard to even get to any trails at 50 mph [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) I know I should concentrate on one thing at a time, maybe I have ADD. The body is rough but it may still be driveable as a beater or trail rig. I guess ultimately the question was whether or not the parts was what the parts might be worth. Thanks for the opinions, any more?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:36 PM

Well, I stubbled across a 74 CJ-5 that didnt' run and needed some body work, had a soft top, doors (but they don't fit) and I got it for $750 I got it running in a week.......now working on the body, and I've realized it's really a decent jeep........I do plan to sell it though. I guess my moral of the story is that I don't plan to make a ton of money of from it...but I enjoy working on them and I love to see a nice finished product. So If that's your drug then I say go for it!!!! I know I would, I mean a good running 258 and the Hard top should get you your money back or at least close to it...if you had to part it out, not to mention the axles, tranny, T-case, and much more
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:30 PM

Sounds like you've already got enough distractions...I'd pass on it. Run far, far away from it. Trust me, I know the temptation. My Scrambler is still only about halfway together and now my CJ-7 is laid up with a seized engine, so we're running on one vehicle and I just found out for sure yesterday that I'm losing my job at the end of January, so I need to pickup a suitable vehicle for a possible longer commute (I'm only 10 miles away on local roads now). Had a guy pop out of the woodwork who's Jeep I'd done some work on a couple of years ago asking me if I knew of anyone who'd want to buy it and I actually entertained it for a few days...'92 YJ with a 4-banger and 4" lift for $3500 obo and figured I'd grab it for $3k and put a Pro-Comp coil conversion under it. But, I don't need the additional distraction.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:05 PM

Jeesh, Rodney!
Haven't ya finished that thing yet?
Man, that sucks brother ...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With all the salt used on roads there I wouldn't trust that jeep. If the body is visibly rusty, I can guarentee you that the frame is as well. Remeber that the frame may appear fine on the outside, but inside is another story. These frames were a crappy rust prone design to begin with so be very carefull. My opinion is that if a jeep has lived in a snowy or wet climate, be prepared to replace the frame.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 01:47 PM

Nope, not finished. Put some 36" Swampers on it, installed a clocking ring, fiddled with the front suspension a bit, and finally put the body back on it a couple of weekends ago. Spent most of this year at work (colossal waste of time given the recent developemnts...started laying folks off yesterday) and working on the CJ-7 to keep it going...ran through the dyno test for emmissions and that's when the engine gave up. Fortunately I had a feeling it was going to happen, so I had already pulled my spare engine out of mothballs, torn it down, and started rebuilding it...it's almost done, just moving the last few accessories from the old engine and waiting for a couple of parts to arrive...'85 engine w/a rebuilt '89 YJ head & stock aluminum valve cover and a CompCams Extreme4x4 cam plus the normal rebuild goodies and a 1-piece 4.0 oil pan gasket. Upside is that I pretty much know when my last day is and I'll walk outta here with a nice check. Trying to decide now if I want to stay out here or relocate...everybody wants us to move back East and moving would give me a good excuse to take some time off and at least get the Scrambler mobile and I'd have the funds for the few odds & ends that I still need for it (and a few that I just plain old want) and a trailer.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 10:19 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yeah, move out east here so we can hook up easier, you're too far west.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode