OT--Alaskan Off-Road Clubs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

OT--Alaskan Off-Road Clubs?

Okay fellow Alaskan Jeepers, does anyone know of a jeep/off-road club that is out in the Mat-Su valley? Now that I've moved up from Kenai and I have some time on my hands, I'm looking for a club so I can get to know the trails here abouts. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 04:47 PM
CJ8Dave

Re: OT--Alaskan Off-Road Clubs?

I don't know of any in the Valley but you might check with Six States in Anchorage. Some of their staff do group wheeling on a regular basis.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dave, thanks for the info! I see we share a couple of similar interests. Just finished my BFR down in Kenai at Alaska Flying Network with Chip. I'm currently looking for an aircraft myself. I'm working toward my commercial ticket. I'll give the folks over at Six States a call and see what they have to say. I was out at Buffalo Mine Road the other day in my Ranger, and it looks like a good place to play. If you are going to be out my way, drop an email ahead of time, and maybe we can go together...one warning though, I haven't dropped a drum on the front yet....that's either this winter or next summer. Also, check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/akpostalcj-8 It's about the Alaskan Postal CJ-8s, and they are a new group, but growing. Thanks again!
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:22 AM
CJ8Dave

Hi Bob!
Yup, I'm a pilot too - bought my Supercub in 1984 when they were cheap! I run it on floats in the summer, skiis in the spring (assuming a decent spring occurs), and wheels the rest of the time. I've flown it all over western and southwestern Alaska (I used to live in King Salmon and Bethel).

The funny thing is, I have beem going moose hunting in my Scrambler for years! My hunting buddy (he has a Scrambler also) go way back in off the Denali Highway where the "track rigs" go. It's a pretty good run going through rocks, tundra, bogs, mud holes, streams, up and down some pretty step hills - we always seem to get stuck here and their unless it's been a really dry summer!

Up till now we've mainly used our rigs as hunting vehicles although we've decided to take a few weekends next summer and "explore". I did some checking and found a couple of clubs at http://www.northern4x4.com . They are both in Anchorage but it looks like they have a bunch of trails they run on and even rate them! I'd bet to get to some of them they would be driving right by you so you may be able to hope on aboard.

I'll be down this winter for upgrades but I'd definitly be interested in wheeling next summer! Catch you later!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

That's the first time I've heard the words "Supercub" and "Cheap" in the same sentence! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm not really checked out in one but I do have a bit of stick time in one that belonged to a friend of mine. It had the factory 180hp, and was also on wheel's, ski's and floats depending on the season. We had a lot of fun with it. We ran a trap line with it one winter. For myself I'm looking at a 172 or Cherokee 140/160/180 or similar as a time builder/family machine. Just started looking seriously since I just decided to get my commerical. Oh, you might check out Alaskan Aviators It's another Yahoo! group, but one that I run. We've got about 80 members and we have a fair bit of fun. We've had a couple of members meet up real time, but are going to try to arrange a fly in picnic or something for this next year.

The Denali highway area is great isn't it? I try to make at least one run over it every year, though it's usually just for Grayling. Now that I live 4 hours closer though, that may change! I haven't done much 4x4ing around there yet since before I bought the Jeep in 2001 I was using my Ranger as my light duty off road vehicle and it's my daily driver and I didn't want to mess it up too bad (and I didn't trust my High-boy that far from home!). I'm looking forward to trying it out this next year. Maybe you can recommend a trail or two up there?

It's funny you should mention northern 4x4. I just found their site yesterday! Looks good and I'm going to do a careful readthru of the trails over the holiday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode