Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Anyone ever Put commando springs on a CJ? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/144255-anyone-ever-put-commando-springs-cj.html)

mbalbritton 11-20-2002 03:18 PM

Anyone ever Put commando springs on a CJ?

got a line on some Commando Springs that I was gonna see about installing them on the CJ. mando springs are a Long leaf style like was briefly discused in the Holbrook springs post earlier.

thanks

Caver Dave 11-21-2002 08:58 AM

Re: Anyone ever Put commando springs on a CJ?

Start a trend & be the *FIRST* Brother! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Due to the size and weight, I only brought one of the packs today. Should be fine to get the measurements from though. They both had the same amount of arch "unloaded".

BMF 11-21-2002 09:21 AM

I'd definitely do it! I've wanted to do this for about a year and a half now but I have too many other projects lined up. Ever since I saw a soa camando flex with those long springs I've been itching to put them on my jeep. If you do it keep us updating, might make it a lot easier for me when/if I get around to doing the swap.

mbalbritton 11-21-2002 09:32 AM

wow, i can't believe anyon else has looked into this!, So long as the shackle end of the leaf isn't WAY longer than the CJ It seems like a pretty straight forward swap.

Dave, Are the Front mando springs not long leaf?

Caver Dave 11-21-2002 10:48 AM

The fronts are offset like the rears, but tend to be skinnier (1.5"-1.75" on the '66-'71 models & 2" on the '72-'73s). They're generally thrashed too.
I think a set of rear leafs on the front would do great. You'd have to move the hangers at both ends anyway. I happen to know Toad has a pile of each.

On another note, Holbrock is probably subbing out the springs to National, Espo, or Alcan anyway. The equipment needed to fab them is too costly for a few dozen sets per year. Then of course there's his markup.... [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

mbalbritton 11-21-2002 12:06 PM

Why am I not surprised that Toad has a pile of them [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]