Bad Pinion Bearing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Bad Pinion Bearing?

I thought my pinion seal had been leaking for a while and i was under my jeep yesterday and grabed my front drive shaft, the yoke has about 1/2" of play in it. I hadn't really realized any bad effects though i was getting some unexplaned noises around 45 mph. I'm going to pull my front drive shaft today so i don't kill the shaft or t-case. Can i put the shaft back in or wheel it or am i garuenteed to blow my axle? Doesn't replacing the pinion beraing involve the same process as setting up gears? I'm almost 100% sure that something is bad and it's just not a loose pinion nut though i'm going to make sure today on that one. Any other ideas what it could be? My phelophy with stock axles is when they need work it's time for a new axle, that's why i have an 8.8 isntead of a d35. If it's bad i think it's 44 or 60 front time from me since that axle needs new axle seal, the 1 good shaft i have has deep groves in it where the seal rides, a caliper is kinda held on by 1 1/2 bolts so if i kill it it's not the end of the world. I think i'm going to wheel my jeep this weekend and if my front diff goes boom i'll just pull the inner shafts and drive home in 2wd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:50 PM

Re: Bad Pinion Bearing?

It's moving fore and aft 1 half inch? If so, my guess would be that the pinion nut backed off. If the bearing had failed the shaft would probably work around in a circle, too.

Most of the time, replacing pinion bearings doesn't require changing the setup any, but you should check it, and be prepared to adjust it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:27 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Define "play". You won't really know the condition until you pop the front cover and see how the gears look. Also, unless you get the exact replacement bearing, you will have to reset the pre-load, which you should do anyway (easy). This is provided it's the outer bearing and not the inner. If it's the inner you will have to set it up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I pulled the front drive shaft and there's definetally a lot of movement, if i rotate it, it rotates in an oval pattern. When i start out driving when the jeep is cold it' almost feels like there's some added resistance and a noise. It feels like my buddies mj with his pinion that's missing 2-3 teeth and has a messed up carrier. I'm going to pull the cover tomrow and probably also pull the shafts and just put the stubs back in. That dana 30 is in sad shape to begin with so it's 60 front and 14 bolt rear time for me, no need to try to "polish a turd" (not that d30's are horbile axles but mine just doesn't like me considering i broke a joint running 32" swampers open up front). I'm going to pull the spool out of the rear and run my buddies 31" muds and have a 2x4 jeep for a while but the fruits of my labor will be worth it in the end.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:01 AM

It's toast. Sorry.

Or not - It sounds like that's what you wanted to hear anyway. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode