Yokohama Geolander M/T - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Yokohama Geolander M/T

Hi I came over from the Suzuki board to try and get some input on these tires. My samurai only sees asphalt for a couple miles when I go out for a trail ride and sits in my garage till the next run so I'm looking for the best offroad tire. I currently have 29" TSL's on the zuk and so far have worked great but I'm moving up to a 31" and I'm thinking of trying something different. Trails range from muddy to rocks and everything inbetween. Also I don't want to spend more then $125.00 per tire. I know this is a directional tire and that keeps some people from getting them. The reviews I read said the rubber is soft which in turn makes the tires stick to everything, and in the mud they clean themselves out pretty well. What I'm worried about is the sidewall strength and tread depth. Tread life means nothing since it's not a daily driver. I would like to hear any feedback that anyone has on these tires or if I should just stick with the TSL's. Thank you!

Matt Schick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Yokohama Geolander M/T

I read a tire test in one of the off road rags lately (4 wheel & off road, maybe??) where they just weren't impressed with the Geolander M/T's (which I was hoping to see high marks for 'em, since I was planning on getting a set). According to the test, though, the best non-NASTY tire was the Goodyear Wrangler M/T (the super-luggy Interco stuff did better, though).

Of course, the test was pretty much mud only, so I dunno how the diferent tires would do on the rocks...

I'm interested in seeing people's input on this as well...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Converted

Try this link to the tire rack survey results for the Geolander M/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:29 PM

There's a thread on this in that general 4x4 section.
I ran these for a couple of years, and if I could have pulled more the 20K miles on the street with them I'd have never changed to a different type of tire. They work better then any radial MT I've ever run in just about everything. Wet roads, sand, mud, rocks, you name it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got Goodyear MT/R's and I've been very happy with them. My offroad driving consists of heavy mud & rocks. I've not seen many tires with the thickness of the MT/R.
The only problem you may have is the cost. As stated above check out tirerack.com I/ve bought 3 sets of tires from them, good to deal with.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:29 PM

I have a set of 30x9.5R15 and a friend has 31x10.5R15 and we love them. They do wear quicker on the street, but we've made it up hills that Wranglers with 33" tires couldn't! I really like mine, and the price is right. We both have CJ5's. Plus, I think they look good. I'll recommend a set. I have TSL's on my Scrambler only because you can't get Geolanders in a 33x10.5R15 size. IMO they work as good as the TSL's except when the mud is really deep and sloppy, then the wider lug widths work better on the TSL's. Hope this helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! You gave me the best info yet being that you are currently using both brands of tires I am looking at. Many people suggested staying with a bias ply tire since my zuk is not a daily driver. Are the treads much deeper on the TSL's compared to the yoko's? I try to stay away from the real deep mud if possible. No problems with sidewall strengh? and do they air down better then the TSL's? Do you have any pics of them on your cj? Like I said most people said to stick with the TSL but if you think they work just as good maybe I just might try something different. Thanks for the help.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode