New Overhead Console - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

New Overhead Console

OK, so I've decided to build myself an overhead console for the CB and radio in the YJ. I've decided to fasten it over the footman loop on the windshield and use U-Bolts to fasten it around the cage. I am making it out of 12 GA. steel. The estimated weight is going to be about 20 pounds without the stereo or CB mounted in it. Do you guys think the footman loop on the windshield will hold that kind of weight (30 - 40 pounds) when it is being shaken all over during off-roading? There will probably be a slight bit of play in the installation to allow for the unforseeable. After all, it is a JEEP!

I have attached a pic of the drawing I made. Sorry, it is of extremely poor quality, most of the design is still in my head!

--EDITED--
OK, so I'm an idiot!!! I forgot to check the file size before attaching. So here's the problem: When I make the pic small enough for the file size, the clarity goes to crap! So, just use your imaginations!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:59 AM
Veteran

Re: New Overhead Console

i think that you will have a problem attaching it to the footman loop on the windshield. i think that the 2 small bolts that hold it on could snap quite easily, esp if you are in a position where the jeep is flexing alot. just my 2 cents.

shawn
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:17 AM

I would not attach it to the footman loops. Your windshield is designed to flex. There is a pad between the winshield and body called the cowl. Also look at your windshield hold down knobs. They allow it to flex also. This on top of the fact that the windshield frame is 16 ga steel is all. Remember you have a pivot arm thing going with the weight of that unit. It will pivot on the roll bar and that puts all the weight on those two little screws. They will shear or pull out of the steel. I guess your distance is 4 feet so at 20 lbs, that is 80 ft-lbs shear down on those two screws. When it does come down it will be fun to steer, brake and catch all your electronics while going over the offroad terrain!! Usually those overhead things are mounted to the full cage bars. You got a good idea with the u bolts but get a cage first then mount it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:37 PM

I've been thinking of doing a similar thing in my CJ but I have a front cage to attach to. Tuffy makes an overhead console similar to what you're building out of 16 gauge that's designed to screw into the footman loop holes on the windshield and u-bolt to the roll bar. If you try to just hook it onto the footman loop, you'll most likely pull the screws out of the windshield frame before snapping them off. I think this would work if you remove the footman loop and screw the front of the console directly to the windshield in several places. Your factory roll bar connects to the windshield frame and should eliminate the pivot pressure issue that Brhino was talking about. The windshield frame on the YJ isn't really designed to flex much since they come bolted down. The CJ's have the hand screw knobs that are never tight enough to keep the windshield frame firm. You can loosen your frame to adjust it some, but that has more to do with lining up a hardtop than allowing for flex.

You could also re-attach the footman loop to the bottom of the console so you could still hook up a bikini top.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:39 PM
BigJ

Why not run a piece of tube across the top of the windshield connecting roll bar (driver side) to roll bar (passerger side)? You can even do it out of aluminum angle (1" x 1")and cut the ends to go on top of the cage with a through bolt. Just cut them so they are coped out and snug and they won't twist. 3/16" or 1/4" should be fine. Most metal distributors will sell cuts (left over ends and pieces at a discount). The more aluminum the lighter and stiffer!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. That pretty much confirms my suspicions on the footman loop as a mounting point. As for the full cage, I don't think I'll be getting one any time too soon, wife thinks I already have too many projects in the works. If she only knew this was an addiction, not a hobby. But I might be able to get a piece of steel to run between the two exiisting rollcage-to-frame tie ins. I work at a steel fabrication shop, so I just need to decide what I want, and then get it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:19 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
As for the full cage, I don't think I'll be getting one any time too soon, wife thinks I already have too many projects in the works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this all the time. People saying they can't afford one. You can't NOT afford one.

Tell you what, go get your wife, and make her read this:
Southern Jeeps

Then show her these pictures...
Carnage

THEN you sit her down and ask her for the budget for a cage (generally starting in the $100 range for a CJ).

As a nice benefit you'll have the perfect base for a console.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is a strong case for a full cage. That jeep is hamburger. Cage, then console.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:19 PM

After reading the post from bluseman and his link to the other bbs, I've decided that the cage I have in my garage is my #1 project this winter, I think everything else can wait.

Bluseman, thanks for the link to an excellent thread. I'm glad to hear that the individual is ok and still able to wheel thanks to a $150 mod.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:22 PM

do you not like the one tuffy makes?? seems easier to buy it then to build it. just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode