High steer questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

High steer questions

Am getting the parts together for my high steer. Im going to try the Chevy ends. What did you guys use for your tie rods and drag link.

Also, Im wondering what others did about the pitman arm.
How did you get that to work with your set up and what set up did you end up with

Thanks as always guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Re: High steer questions

I used parts mikes bars, however there are a bunch of companys making them now, avalanche is cheap and you can weld on the threaded ends. Rockstomper rods are the ones I like the best, deffenetly use the chevy tre's. As far as pitman arm you can use the stock one if you get it tapped for a chevy tre or can just buy a new one already tapped.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

where would I get a pitman arm already yapped for my Chevy ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used the following ends. ES2233L was remmed 7/8, Stock TJ pitman arm was remmed. It has less drop than a YJ. However I did have to move my gear box forward 3" because my drag link ended up coming back on top of my drag link.

ES2234R == Draglink at Tie-rod or ES2026R
ES2027L == Draglink at Pitman arm
Tie Rod
ES2234R == Tie rod driver side
ES2233L == NAPA PN 269-2554 == Tie rod passenger side /w hole
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:39 AM

I used rockstomper rock rods for the tie rod and draglink. When I put everything together, my pitman would not work at all. I ended up with a chevy camaro pitman arm; it was the same length as my CJ one but had much more meat on the draglink end. I had rockstomper ream it from the top to accept the large GM tierod end. I ended up with what I believe is a very strong setup and my draglink is parrellel with the tierod, so no bumpsteer. Check them out here . I don't know if they sell pitmans or not, but he could certainly ream yours for you. The owner's name is Scott and he spent lots of time helping me work through my steering issues.

Max
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:23 AM

I just finished up my front d44 swap. I used GM TRE numbers ES2026R and ES2027L. I had my draglink tube and tie rod tube made by a guy locally. I also picked up the high steer arms with stud and nuts kits from him too. You might want to check out his website www.shakerbuilt.com I paid $65 each for the tie rod tubes and $100 for the arms and stud/nut kit. I also had him drill out my CJ pitman arm to accept the GM tie rod. These are the best prices I've found ANYWHERE!

Alec
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 12:26 PM
Old Hand

My set-up was about as cheap as can be done. I have a stock length waggy axle and I used the stock waggy tie rod and drag link (I had the hi-steer arms reamed . I went to a dismantler with my stock CJ pitman arm and looked through a bin of 100s of pitman arms and found one from a Ford truck that was 3-4 times more beefy and already was reamed for the right rod end. I ended up having to shorten the threads on the drag ling adjuster (about 1") with a cut-off wheel to make it fit.

The best part is that I have a spare that is from another stock waggy axle. Cheap, but no problems with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode