CJ - 360 "loads up" at idle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ - 360 \"loads up\" at idle

I'm trying to get my 360 (from an 82 Waggy) tuned right. It has the stock MC 2150. When I drive it cold it runs great. When its warm, it will start to miss a little after its been idling for a minute. If I rev. the engine its okay agian for a little while.

The fuel mixture screws are just over 2 turns out each. I have a MSD ignition with the TR upgrade, new MSD wires, and new autolite plugs.

The carb ran great on the 360 before I pulled the engine.

Any suggestions? Also, for those of you with a 304 or 360, where do you time you engine? I have mine set according the the manual at around 8 degrees.

Thanks

Shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJ - 360 \"loads up\" at idle

Can't say I'm as familiar withth MC as I have been forced to become with my Holley [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But when this happens on my Holley first thing I do is check the float level in th carb. then I check the float bowl needle valve. Debris can get built up on that and the slightest bit can keep the nnedle valve from shutting ans thus a continuos flow of fuel goes into the float bowl. Very possible after messing with fuel lines or a dirty gas tank and filter. you might also look at your flaot to see if it is taking on fuel, do you know if it is a Plastic, metal or foam float? platic and metal can develop holes and take on fuel and the foam can develpoe holes in the outer shell and soak up fuel too. both accounts lowering your float and casueing increased fule in the bowl. All these can lead to your carb loading up. there are other things, but I gotta get back to work. Had to take a break before my brain fried itself [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: CJ - 360 \"loads up\" at idle

The 2150 is notorius for 2 things, leaks at the base plate, and leaks around the throttle rod where it passes through the base of the carb. Both are easier to replace the carb than repair. To check this start the Jeep and remove the air cleaner, plug any vacuume lines,(if applicable) Spray around the base of the carb with carb cleaner, (don't get any in the top) if the rpms pick up then you have a vacuume leak around the base or throttle rod. Sometimes a loose gasket or deteriorated base gasket will contribute to this. But in most cases it is a warped base plate on the carb. Also spray around the intake where it bolts to the heads to check for leaks there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode