Greasable Bolts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Greasable Bolts

Hey guys.
I found some greaseable shackle bolts for sale on ebay. They are grade 5 bolts with a grease fitting on the end and a hole in the middle of the bolt. My question is, are these strong enough for the suspension? I have grade 8 lug bolts and I'm wondering how well a grade 5 would hold up, especially being drilled out like that, on the suspension. Not doing any rock crawling, but just concerned. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Check them out here, he's got a bunch of 'em.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1872752720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Greasable Bolts

Unfortunatelly most shackles, greasable or not, come standard with grade 5 hardware. I haven't seen any others with grade 8 bolts. FWIW I am running greasable grade 5 bolts on my shackles with 35" swampers and haven't had a problem.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Actually you want grade 5 bolts in a shackle. Its a shear load and that is what grade 5 are good at doing. If it is a tensiol(SP) load they its grade 8 time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:04 PM

I say you would not want grade 8 greasable bolts. The tensile strength is higher in grade 8 but that comes with a price. The grade 8 alloy is usually more brittle. The grade 5 would allow a more flex before it would snap. With the bolt hollowed out, this is very important. Also, drilling out grade 8 bolts is much more difficult. These people who make these have done the calculations.

Grade 8 bolts are not always the best. If you use them for everything, you are going to be in a world of hurt someday. Example, using them into your cast transmission case. The threads on the case will strip before the bolts-not good. You need to use the bolt that is designed for the purpose, not redesign the fastener. Look in the books for the application of the fasteners, there are several on the area or call a place like Fastenal, they have them-I personnaly prefer Bowman fasteners but they are not cheap. Then again in the scheme of things, it is chump change.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The grade 8 alloy is usually more brittle. The grade 5 would allow a more flex before it would snap

[/ QUOTE ]
That makes sense. Thanks, that's what I wondered about. One more question, do you guys use and do you like the poly bushings? I've heard they can be rough riding. I thought about keeping rubber but they're hard to find.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

With the greasable shackles you will loose 99% of the squeks with poly and the ride is much nicer since there is grease in there helping everything turn.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:31 AM

Yes I am running them. With my setup, I want as tight of steering as possible (big tires, good lift and CJ5). I am waiting to install my greasables here on the frame up, up until now I just greased them by hand.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:38 AM

when i drilled out the bolts for a friends trailer, we threw some grade 8 bolts in the lathe and drilled them, no calcs...

by using the chart i just found ( http://www.ggmfg.com/catalog/63.htm ) it is clear that a grade 8 bolt has a higher shear strength than the same size grade 5 bolt.

crankshaft bolts are grade 8, and perform under shear.

i have also never believed that a grade 8 is "brittle". do some experiments for yourself. weld 2, 1/2" bolts (one grade 5, one grade 8) to a big chunk of steel so the head is down, and the threads up. beat on it with a hammer and note which one bends easier, and which one breaks first...i think you'll be surprised.

i use grade 8 bolts on everything that requires strength, and grade 5 on everything else.

you can do whatever you want.

matt
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:32 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I agree on the grade 8 vs grade 5 thing. I mounted the rock wheels on the S/R with 1/2" grade 8 bolts (6.5" long, the double as towbar points), and hit one when climbing a ledge one day. It broke the cast steel wheel and bent the 1/2 bolt substantially, but it didn't break. I hit so hard it lifted the rear of the Zuk off the ground. The only problem I have had with grade 8 over grade 5 is the nuts on the grade 8 like to loosen faster, even using lock washers. I have since switched to a locking style nut (NEVER a Nyloc), and they're doing better, but I still watch them as occasionally even those will back off.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:57 PM

The reason the nuts are coming loose is because grade 8 requires more torque to set the nut to the bolt. Torque is applied to stress the bolt and place tensile stress on the bolt and nut. Without this stress, the nut will come loose. There just is not enough stress to hold the nuts on the threads of the bolt. Yes the locking nuts do work-I try not to use nylocks either. Locktight will work in low torque applications also. Again I would use grade 5 bolts on shackles because they are supposed to be torqued pretty low. Tighten them up too much and the bushings will not allow the spring to flex pretty rough ride. Again, I recommend getting books about fasteners to everyone. It is amazing what is engineered into fasteners. I have had quite a bit of training on the area because I am in the Maintenance department at our plant and have to deal with them every day. Fasteners are extremely important and each style/grade performs a different role. There are many stresses that need to be considered. Tensile, shear, fatigue failure, the nut/bolt thread deformation...... Too many times people stick grade 8 in and the are the wrong ones. Again, would you use a grade 8 in an aluminum transmission case?? Again, I am anal but I look up the application, torque values etc on my fasteners before I use them on my Jeep. I do not reuse fasteners very often and I only buy American made bolts if possible. They conform to our specs and usually they do not cheap out on the alloys. Again, I am anal, am engineer and I use Loctite and Anti-Seeze! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode