Shock mounts-CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Shock mounts-CJ

Hey all, doing a frame swap and the frame I got has the shock mounts welded to the frame, where as the '85 I have, has them bolted on. I 'think' this is a difference between narrow track and wide track. do I need to cut the old ones off of the new frame and bolt the others up? also, I remember reading a thing about putting ford shock mounts on in place of the jeep ones, I think Mel did that. What changes would that give me? Just the ability to run a longer shock?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:29 PM

Re: Shock mounts-CJ

dosnt the 85 have the taller mounts?
as far as I know thats the only reason for using the ford or waggy mounts, my 77 CJ frame has the upper stud maybe 2 iches or so above the frame rail, I thought the later CJ frames had taller mounts than that
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Addict

They did change to a longer mount (forget when) and I do think you have to cut the welded ones off, but you should be able to bolt the longer ones right on. They will let you run a longer shock (more travel). I believe the ford mounts will let you run even longer shocks (if you need that much travel). Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I 'think' they went to the longer shock mount when it went from narrow to wide. but I'm not sure. I honestly don't know if I need the added travel that the ford mounts give. I have the bolted on ones now on my '85 and I was planning on cutting off the ones on the new frame, but I just wanted to makes sure it needed to be done before I bust out the cutting wheel. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I am going probably with a 2.5" lift, do I need the added travel that the ford mounts give?

thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Addict

I guess that depends on your intended use. Are you planning on a super flexy suspension or just an off the shelf aftermarket suspension kit? I would think the longer Jeep mounts would be sufficient, but I'm not a hardcore rockcrawler. My .02. Nice website BTW.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Well I am going to go with a 'standard' aftermarket set of springs. going for a 2.5" lift with them. So, I don't think I am going to be getting any kinda mad flex, to warrent the necessity for the longer travel shocks.
thanks for the website compliment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode