Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Shock mounts-CJ (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/144036-shock-mounts-cj.html)

surveyboy 11-18-2002 07:25 PM

Shock mounts-CJ

Hey all, doing a frame swap and the frame I got has the shock mounts welded to the frame, where as the '85 I have, has them bolted on. I 'think' this is a difference between narrow track and wide track. do I need to cut the old ones off of the new frame and bolt the others up? also, I remember reading a thing about putting ford shock mounts on in place of the jeep ones, I think Mel did that. What changes would that give me? Just the ability to run a longer shock?
thanks

ozarkjeep 11-18-2002 07:29 PM

Re: Shock mounts-CJ

dosnt the 85 have the taller mounts?
as far as I know thats the only reason for using the ford or waggy mounts, my 77 CJ frame has the upper stud maybe 2 iches or so above the frame rail, I thought the later CJ frames had taller mounts than that

fratt77CJ7 11-18-2002 07:33 PM

They did change to a longer mount (forget when) and I do think you have to cut the welded ones off, but you should be able to bolt the longer ones right on. They will let you run a longer shock (more travel). I believe the ford mounts will let you run even longer shocks (if you need that much travel). Good luck.

surveyboy 11-18-2002 07:38 PM

I 'think' they went to the longer shock mount when it went from narrow to wide. but I'm not sure. I honestly don't know if I need the added travel that the ford mounts give. I have the bolted on ones now on my '85 and I was planning on cutting off the ones on the new frame, but I just wanted to makes sure it needed to be done before I bust out the cutting wheel. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I am going probably with a 2.5" lift, do I need the added travel that the ford mounts give?

thanks

fratt77CJ7 11-18-2002 08:05 PM

I guess that depends on your intended use. Are you planning on a super flexy suspension or just an off the shelf aftermarket suspension kit? I would think the longer Jeep mounts would be sufficient, but I'm not a hardcore rockcrawler. My .02. Nice website BTW.

surveyboy 11-19-2002 12:49 AM

Well I am going to go with a 'standard' aftermarket set of springs. going for a 2.5" lift with them. So, I don't think I am going to be getting any kinda mad flex, to warrent the necessity for the longer travel shocks.
thanks for the website compliment