U Joints are a pain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

U Joints are a pain

Ok I've been trying to get a U joint out from my rear driveshaft and it won't budge... I got the straps off and the two retaining clips... I used a hammer with a Small Socket on top and a Larger Socket on the Bottom to try to get the Cap to go through... didnt work. Just got a big C- Clamp with same setup didnt work. Sprayed it with some PB blaster... doesnt help. Anyone have any trick? Or Ideas? PLEASE [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: U Joints are a pain

Yes, set the driveshaft in a vise, so the free ends of the U-joint are supported by the vise. Now hit the driveshaft at the base but on the yoke (strongest part). The shaft will travel down while the u-joint stays in the same plece.

Or you can cut the u-joint in half, using a cross pattern and smack the individual ends out.

Either way, add some PB Blaster and/or a little heat and it should come out. I've never seen a joint I couldn't change, it took me 8 hours once to change out a pair, but they came out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

cutting torch makes quick work of the really PITA ones... try getting the chevy u-joints out.. the ones that are glued in....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use a vise, but not like JEEPN said. I just squeeze them out, use 2 sockets like you would beat it out with, only squeeze it out with a big vice. Works every time. BTW, use impact sockets.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:58 PM

Got any buddies with hydraulic presses? They're a lifesaver in such situations. I replaced mine last week, but i've got a hydraulic and an arbor press on hand and it takes me all of 15 minutes for the whole procedure from removal to installation.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Got any buddies with hydraulic presses?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing you need to worry about with a press is bending the ears of the yoke. You have more control using a big vise.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:33 PM

Really? I do the same technique as the vise witht he 2 sockets, just got a lot more pushing it. I've never had problems before, but I'm sure I could be wrong... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Mud in my Veins

I watched a guy use an air hammer (he called it the "burp gun")to knock out some stubborn ujoints. In fact, it took longer to hook up the air to it, than remove the joints. He used the same technique for installing the replacements. Just used a little less pressure.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whats the process to put it back together? Put on the straps and put on the Caps on the other two ends then the Retainer? I'm going to get ahold of a torch tomorrow and try to heat them up and knock it out. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:53 AM

I dont want to hear anybody bitch about u-joints being hard to replace, ask wades76cj7 about his killer u-joints and my face= 11 stitches and a scar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode