engine swap...i've asked this before - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine swap...i\'ve asked this before

OK, I know I've asked for advise on this plenty of times, nut here I go again. I've got a 1995 wrangler 4 banger with a AX5 tranny and np231 Tcase. Here's the deal: I want to swap a six cyl into it it, put a better 5speed and keep the 231 (basically changing the driveline to a CJ).

I have my choice of a couple 258's (unknown what years) I have a SM465 if I want it and I think the adapter plate is availible from Advance Adapters. I won't mind leaving it carburated for now, and then put FI on it. I still have to check about PA inspection laws about the swap.

Here's the run down:

1) If I can leave it carburated for now, what year engine with what components should I look for?
2) I would like to used the Jeep for over a daily driver and a woods toy. I wanted to put a Jeep 5speed in it with a hydraulic clutch. If not a Jeep tranny, what else might be a good option?
3) My stock axles should be strong enough for the other components. Any thoughts?

If anyone has any info I would appreciate it, Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: engine swap...i\'ve asked this before

Your going to hate going from FI to Carb? Why not look for a 4.0 FI? Not a 258 Carbed? Just sounds like a mess to deal with (IMO)... Just find a 4.0 and tranny someone is selling from a swap and do it. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: engine swap...i\'ve asked this before

I agree with muddynut,

If you are going to go through all the trouble of a drivetrain conversion do it right. Don't put a carbed 258 in it it's a pig.
Get something Fuel injected and powerful (5.0, 350, Vortec V-6) otherwise you are just throwing away $$

my 2˘

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode