Need some advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need some advice

I have an 84 CJ 7 with a real POS 150 cyl Renault motor which is basically dead. The question is whether to have the 150 rebuilt or swap in an I6 engine? My choice is the 6, but I don't know which engine to use or exactly how to go about it. I've searched boards for numerous hours and still can't get a firm handle on it. The tranny is a T-4, I'm sure about the transfer case or axels, the Jeep is stock as far as I know. Funds are somehat limited, since I also have to replace the tub, tires and wheels. This will be a daily driver with limited off road use. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:08 PM

Re: Need some advice

you need a new engine, a new tub, and new tires and wheels?

and you have a good T4 tranny?

If I where you Id sell it and buy another Jeep with a 6 cyl, and a better tub and start there to save some headache! it wont end up being any more $$$ unless people like to give you engines and tubs, and you have ALOT of free time, and tools and place to work!

just my opinion!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:34 PM

I will agree with what Ozark said because I am in the swap everything mode but mine I have other reasons for finishing but heres the menu to date:

1. 304 rebuild plus accesories $1000 plus need about another $600
2. T18 swap for T150 $125 for tranny plus another $1000 for driveshafts and rebuilding+adapter
3. OME suspension, conversion to YJ springs etc $1200
4. New tub $4000 including paint, roll bar seats body lift etc
5. Axles $2000
6. Tires/rims $1000

Getting the picture. Gotta decide up front if you are in it for fun or the long haul. I figure I will have $10k into it and 4 years by the time it runs again. Make sure you are ready before you start. Might be better to get it running and sell it. For an engine swap, figure $3000 to get it finished. You will need adapters, wiring harnesses, exhaust system.....

On the other hand a new Rubicon is $25k plus it still needs goodies. Personally I would start with a YJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would agree with what has been said, Unless you are in it for the fun of having a project. If that is what you are looking for I would say that you are in a pretty good spot. But if you are looking for somthing that will be a daily driver withing a few months, then you should probably try to find somthing else. Let us know in a little more detail what you are planning.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Reading the above responces sounds kinda harsh, like they are basically saying get rid of the POs and get another, something more solid....... but they are absolutely right. sounds like you'd be in for a hell of a project with this CJ. I'd look for a different one too. Sorry man. Maybe hold on to this one for parts swap. maybe you can find a cheap one that has the stuff you need and make one from two?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx for all the good advice. I actually don't need it for adaily driver right now, but maybe by next summer. I have aline on a used tub for $600 thats in decent shape, I suppose the tub on it could be used but with lots of cutting and welding new panels, but seened easier to just replace it. According to Advance Adapters, I could swap in a 4.2l with just changing the motor mounts. This whole thing is sort of a piece together project just to see if I can do it. I have about $4000 to spend.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I gave you guys advice some more thought and decided you're right I am going to take my cash and buy a better Jeep and the POS for extra parts. Thanx again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode