Dummy Countershaft tool?? - Tranny rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Dummy Countershaft tool?? - Tranny rebuild

I'm getting ready to rebuild my T-176 in the CJ. All the manuals say to use a "dummy countershaft" to remove the countershaft/cluster gear. I assume it keeps the 9000 needle bearings from flying everywhere.
Problem is I can seem to find one. Does anyone know where to get one or what size stock I need to make one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:31 AM

Re: Dummy Countershaft tool?? - Tranny rebuild

I seem to remember this question coming up before, and the solution was a wooden dowel of the proper diameter. Don't hold me to it though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:32 AM

Having a tool is more important for assembly. If nobody has a better answer, just be careful to not lose any needles when you take the shaft out. Then measure it and look for an assembly tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If it is anything like my T-150, they said to use a wooden dowel or broom stick handle, I ditched all those ideas for a good smear of Whit grease. Who cares when you're tearing it down, not only are you replacing those bearings ina proper rebuild, but all they do is fall to the bottom of the case when tearing it down. when you put it together just smear white grease or Vasaline all over them as you assymble it and that will hold them in place. the grease will break down when it gets going and it won't harm a thing.I using it through out the rebuild to hold needle bearings and shims in place. worked like a charm.

brent
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:54 AM

I used a section of stainless tube, it was slightly smaller than the specs for my T18, but worked, although I did mushroom the end of the pipe while beating the counter shaft out, so if yours is in there like mine was you wont be able to get it out with a wooden dowel!

Ive since made another from some solid stailess for a T18, ive heard of folks using black pipe, copper pipe, bascally whatever is the closest size you can find to the actual shaft.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode