302 Oil Pan Clearance Issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

302 Oil Pan Clearance Issues

I'm in the process of overhauling a 302 HO from a 1990 Mustang to be swapped in to my currently stock 1980 CJ7 (151, SR4). Seems like I remember reading contradictory information regarding the oil pan and I'd like to get it resolved before I put the new oil pan gasket on. For those who have done this swap before, will the oil pan on the Mustang 302 need to be swapped out and if so, what type of oil pan will work? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:51 PM

Re: 302 Oil Pan Clearance Issues

I used the stock mustang (89) pan in my 79 CJ-7. Fits just fine. My mounts offset the engine towards thedriver side. But even if they did not there would still be room as long as you are running some lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in the middle of a 302 swap myself, and here is what I've found...

You MUST get a pan that has the hump in the rear. There is also a double sump pan the has a mini-hump in the front, and the main oil pickup in the rear...this works too. I know some mustangs between 86-95 came with the sump up front...not sure what denoted them coming with this pan or the rear sump version tho...?

Anyways, the front sump version will not work from what I have found. Granted, there are a lot of variables in the mix, especially how your motor mounts are setup. I am using the "bomb proof" M.O.R.E. motor mounts that shift the engine towards the driver side slightly (www.MountainOffRoad.com, $200), but measuring the distance between the front pumkin and the oil pan sump (front sump version), that sucker is going to hit. Others have told me that this is not true, but I just walked out to my garage with a measuring tape and confirmed that with the M.O.R.E. engine mounts, and an EFI 5.0 Ford engine, the front sump is a no-go. I can't imagine a set of motor mounts that would allow clearence for this anyways! I have a 2 1/2 inch lift too. If you have some ungodly amount of lift, you may be alright [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Attatched is a really bad photo of my pan on the motor. It is a double sump version from www.summitracing.com, $69.95, part# SUM-123457, and fits like a glove. Plenty of clearance for the front crossmember, etc. If your motor has the front sump pan and you replace it with a rear sump version you will also need the oil pump that picks up oil from the rear (summit sells these too, but I have no idea the part#). The front of the engine is on the left side of the photo incase you can't make out the drive pulley... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 947504-100-0037_IMG.JPG (85.3 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. guys. I believe my pan is the double sump version, since there is definately a hump. I'm also planning on going with the M.O.R.E motor mounts but I do not have any lift. Xtensive, without your 2.5" lift would you have any problems clearing the pumpkin? Thanks again guys!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:23 AM

I have never seen an 86-93 mustang with a front sump pan. I have looked at quite a few and they have all had the pan with the small front sump and large rear sump. If you are using the MORE mounts they will offset the motor to the drivers side so you will not have aproblem with clearence. I will shoot a few pics of mine tonight so you can get an idea of where it lines up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll measure it tonight, but I don't think there should be any problems. I'll take the measurements from the front "mini' sump to the pumpkin on my setup and post the distance.

Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:48 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Mustangs have NOT come with a front sump oil pan since 1979. There is a VAN oil pan that is a goofy looking thing, but any mustang pan will work. Any newer 5.0 is gonna have a usuable pan. Mine is from a 90 Crown Vic, I don't have any clearance issue. But I'm in a CJ, with a four inch lift. But....still seems to have clearance... if I didn't have the lift.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Youre right , the stang has a double sump with two oil pump pickups and two drain plugs, one in the small front and one in the larger rear. They had to do that to clear the crossmember in the stang. I got a Long block out of a 95 cobra stang in my 86 bronco now, it originally had the twin sump and pickups, just swap it for one out of a truck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The front "hump" of the oil pan is actually the oil pump. There is only one sump. It's connected by a tube to the oil pump. This way you can put either pan on a 302/5.0 it doesn't matter what year.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:42 PM

Here is a link to my 5.0 picture page. About half way down are a couple pics labeled "oilpan". Theres the clearence with MORE mounts, a D44, and 2.5" lift.
It just happens that the front sump angles up on the pumpkin side. Perfect for a CJ swap. Not that i noticed it before. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sorry the pics are a little blurry...I was shooting in the dark.

http://virtualmajic.tzo.com/pics/5lswap/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode