New user intro/couple of YJ questions (kinda long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New user intro/couple of YJ questions (kinda long)

Hey all, new user here... I am pretty new to the Jeep world, and REAL new to the SWB Jeep world (picked up my '90 model Wrangler about 2 weeks ago). I'm looking forward to learning and helping as much as I can on the board!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I also own a '77 model Cherokee Chief (360/TH400/QT), so I am already a little familiar with Jeep-type engineering.

I have some general automotive knowledge from @10 years of playing with muscle/pony cars and a bit of off-roading experience (mostly mud) from helping my friends with their (GM) trucks.

In any event, I have a few questions about my YJ that some of you may be able to answer... I have searched the history of the forum and haven't had any luck but I may have missed something (anything is possible), so if I ask something that has been beat to death in the past, please let me know.

Anyhoo, Question 1: The 2.5L 4 potter in my Wrangler has a warm (operating temp) idle of @1050 or so by the factory tach. This seems a bit high to me, but a friend tells me that 4 cylinders (in general) typically have higher idle speeds (when compared to 6- and 8-cylinder motors). Does this idle speed sound about right??

Question 2: Are the hydraulic clutch systems on these Jeeps notorious for having problems?? Pressing in my clutch seems to not completely uncouple the motor from the tranny (read: when engaging 1st/reverse at a dead stop, the Jeep "jumps" a little in addition to grinding gears at nearly every shift). I don't think that it's so much of a problem with the tranny synchros as much as it's an issue with the clutch hydraulics.

Question 3: Is there any good reason to pay $700+ for a Rubicon Express lift kit when others are considerably less expensive?? Are they that much better/more complete?? I'm only looking for enough of a lift to completely clear a 31 x 10.50 tire.

I have more questions, but I'll wait until another time (after I have made a contribution to the board [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )... thanks for any input, folks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:03 PM

Re: New user intro/couple of YJ questions (kinda long)

welcome to the board!
well i dont know anything about 4 cyl. idle stuff but ill try to help on the other stuff.
i havnt heard anything with the clutches and i would think first to the syncros but it its not engaging in first at a stop leads to me the clutch. it may just be bad and need to be redone.
the lift is a prefrance. i didnt pay that kinda mony on a kit i payd around 300 for everything including shocks from rough country. alot of it is how you set it up and how much you realy want to spend. just build it for what its gona be used for rocks build for rocks mud, mud and what not. mostly its just how you set it up and breakin the springs though. although some kits are moreflexy they cost more and seem so sag alot faster than a little stifer springs that are losser around the shackles to make up for that.

im sure youll find better answers but i gave what i know right out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:05 PM
I Do This For The Glory

No, the 2.5 should idle the same as the 4.0.

Your YJ should have the internal slave for the clutch, sounds like it may be a little low on fluid and/or it's on its way out. It also sounds like your throwout bearing is worn out, my Zuk does the same thing.

I have no idea on the RE lift, but if you're looking to clear 31's on a YJ, you only need 2.5" of lift, and I would highly recommend the Old Man Emu (OME) lift, it's awesome. My sister in law and brother both have them on their jeeps, and I have to say it rivals the ride in our TJ, along with the flex to boot. They run 32x11.5's with theirs without any rubbing at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
and welcome. I too was new here once, but now... I STILL AM! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The 2.5L 4 potter in my Wrangler has a warm (operating temp) idle of @1050 or so by the factory tach. This seems a bit high to me, but a friend tells me that 4 cylinders (in general) typically have higher idle speeds (when compared to 6- and 8-cylinder motors). Does this idle speed sound about right??

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I have a '93 2.5 4-banger, and at opearting temp it idles @ very low. I don't know exactly how much, but on the factory tach it's under half... Heck, it's at 1/4th (practicall under that little line between 0 and 1000 RPM). And it makes no problem whatsoever being low.

Are the hydraulic clutch systems on these Jeeps notorious for having problems?? Pressing in my clutch seems to not completely uncouple the motor from the tranny (read: when engaging 1st/reverse at a dead stop, the Jeep "jumps" a little in addition to grinding gears at nearly every shift). I don't think that it's so much of a problem with the tranny synchros as much as it's an issue with the clutch hydraulics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I myself do not have that problem. And it does sound like a bit "short" clutch, which shouldn't be hard to fix. As I hard around, the TC does have a problem or two, eventually, but I think it's mostly one reason: people don't know how to use clutch. IMHO, if U know how to use it, if you don't drive around with your left foot resting on the clutch-pedal (even if it has that inch of "loose"),
if you DON'T make it a habbit to start from stop in 2nd (or higher) gear, if you don't use the Jeep clutch like it's an Subaru WWW evo7... it should last (almost) forever. My example is my 10-yr-old YJ, modest off-road, a lot on-road, changed a couple of hands, and still no TC issues.

Is there any good reason to pay $700+ for a Rubicon Express lift kit when others are considerably less expensive?? Are they that much better/more complete?? I'm only looking for enough of a lift to completely clear a 31 x 10.50 tire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I can't help U on this one. Count that on every lift kit I think about taking I have to purcahase it in the US. Being in Europe, I simply have to add 12% of the import taes, and on that price another 22% of VAT. Plus a MINIMUM of 200 US$ for shipping... A 400 US$ kit goes to a bit over 1000 US$ for me. So here I couldn't help you out...

Anyway, enjoy this BBS. I guess you'll end up hanging here 24/7, as I do... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When did they stop using the BA/10's?? I thought it was early '90. Could he be lucky enough to have one?? If so, the slave cylinder/throwout would likely be the problem.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:20 AM

In the world of lift kits, you usually get what you pay for. The cheaper kits will give you height, but sacrifice ride quality. Most people will just brush the ride quality off on the fact that's it's a SWB Jeep and isn't supposed to be comfortable. The fact of it is the cheap lift springs are so stiff that you will get little or no articulation. That translates into a very rough ride and poor off-road performance. The cheap springs are also made from lesser quality materials and more prone to sagging and/or breakage.

I don't know about Rubicon Express specifically, but there are some good lifts out there. Your best bet would be to find someone with that lift and see how they like it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, everyone... thanks for the responses... I guess I'll keep trying to hunt down the cause of my high idle.

Anyhow, I'm just going to kind of kick back and lurk for awhile and see what I can learn...

Thanks again!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode