Ease of aftermarket 258 carb inatallation??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Ease of aftermarket 258 carb inatallation???

Well to day the carter puked out... The choke does not work, it runs rich, and i have not been successful in tuning it properly. I now have it off and new gaskets ready to install since one was leaking. But since it is off i am tempted to get a new carb. I am looking for a carb that is not difficult to install (min-fab) and also will not put a dent in the pocket book. This new car should also be able too run a moddified 258 with a few jet changes. (4.0 head and over haul going on next year) I was thinking of the 2100, i heard from Napa you can get one for about 150... is that right? I am wondering how easy certian aftermarket carbs will fit on. Any ideas?? thanks...

How complicated is it swap in GM TBI??? I have done a search but came up with very little...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Ease of aftermarket 258 carb inatallation???

I can't speak for any other carb, but the Weber was extremely easy to install. The actual installation of the carb took about 2.5 hours and I really had no clue what I was doing. It will usually put a dent in you wallet, but you can get it for around $300 on ebay from Carbsunlimited.
Just my $.03.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:45 PM

I did the motocraft 2 barrel on my '88 yj and it was real easy. All you need is a rochester to holley carb adapter and the carb. I got my carb for free from a friend who had it laying around.The adapter was $15 at baxters auto parts.You will have to modify the linkage on the carb to match where the cable hooks on your stock carb.Just set the two next to each other and measure where the throttle cable hooks up(make sure they are both in the idle position) and make the motocraft match.I cut the tab that the cable hooks to on the motocraft and welded it back on in the new position. If you get your motocraft from a junk yard and get it set up then your not into it much money.Oh you also need a 10" universal air cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

Don't buy a new 2100 for $150, thats way to much. Search on this board for 2100 and you will find all the info you need to pick up one from a junkyard and a simple rebuild kit. The model you need has a 1.08 stamped on the side. I bought the carb $35, rebuild kit $15 (Autozone), Adapter $24 (Mr Gasket) and made a mini linkage with a 3" x 1" piece of metal. Most Ford V-8 (302) from the 70's to early 80 had these carbs. I love mine and it is extremely easy to install and rebuild. It idles better than my Carter ever thought to.

If you need more info I would be glad to help. This is a mod that almost cannot go wrong.

Good Luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:34 PM

I have seen them on ebay for next to nothing. Id check there if you cant find a yard with some.

p.s. I will be selling 2 (one good and running on the jeep now and 1 parts donor) on ebay as soon as I get the holley on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode