shackle reversel quesions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

shackle reversel quesions?

ok i know about the nose dive problem. i know the advantiges. ive heard that when it flexes cause the springs will now go back wards it will hit the fenders in the back of the wheel well now. is this true? i am eventualy going to 33s soon. could some one please tel me how they like it or dislike it. PLEASE only people that have done this mod and drive it. i dont want just opinions based on what youve heard we all know how acurate those things are. if any one knows of any writeups about this please give them allso. im thinking about it and want to know every thing first.

thanks for any info
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Zombie

Re: shackle reversel quesions?

Well, to be honest, I like what my reverse shackle has done for the driveability of my rig. I running a 77 CJ5 with a trail master reverse shackle kit. The nose dive is not real noticeable with my rancho 9012's, but the flexing the 33's into the fenderwell can get annoying. Expecially since I'm running the fenderwell headers, so they take a beating.
Good news is that the headers are rusting away, and almost time for a new exhuast system [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 04:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I gotta agree with Zombie, I love the streetablity of my M.O.R.E. kit. I have a caster issue but I think that's from the 4" lift springs. But while I had the front end out, I ground out the metal in the front spring perches, welded a thin (1/8") plate over the perch and moved the hole for the leaf spring pin. Basically moved my front axle forward. I haven't had the fenders rub until I got the 37s. Now I can't wait to get back to the 35s!! UGH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 06:49 PM

Which MORE kit do you have? The buggy spring kit or the one with the shackle hanger drilled through the frame? Just wondered because I'm considering the latter(cheaper)one, but haven't talked to anyone who's installed it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I do not like the Calmini S/R setup on the Zuk (a SWB vehicle is a SWB vehicle). It has thrust me into some precarious positions before, and time and time again, where it didn't when the shackles were in the front.

I also hate the way the tires eat into the front fenders. So far I have cut the fenders back with a sawzall, then beat them with a sledgehammer, and they still hit occasionally. They also just contact the front body mounts, so I moved them as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode