Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: 86 CJ7 w/350, Tuning prob
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
And to dispell some of the replys, the coil (MSD blaster 2) is new, the cap was a direct replacement, and the firing order is correct. Pretty sure that its somewhere in the/timing tuning cause both sides seem to be doing the same thing.
[/ QUOTE ]
1. Don't discount the MSD being bad.
2. Have you removed it?
3. Your initial instinct seems correct.
4. How have you attemtped to time the engine?
5. Dying with no warning, coughing, or stuttering is indictive of an electrical problem.
6. You could have more than one problem cropping up.
7. Drop back to basics with the electrical, as close to stock as possible.
8. Have you rotated the engine by hand watching the spark, and where it fires?
9. How does the spark look, big and fat, nice 'n blue, etc?
10. How do the points look, nice and shiney or pitted and arced?
12. How did the engine run for that 200 miles before the stalling problem occured?
13. Are there any crankcase fumes going into the distributor cap?