86 CJ7 w/350, Tuning prob - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

86 CJ7 w/350, Tuning prob

Dropped in the 350 about a month ago, put probably 200 miles on it and was just about to do the carb tuning.
Damn thing died on me yesterday on the way home, no warning no sputter no second chance, just dead. TS'd and found no spark at the plugs, just spark at the coil, replaced cap and roter, starts and runs but runs like crap! Not to mention the occasional backfire. Never did this before. Could I be that far out of tune? What are the tuning specs for a pre 75 350 with points. And to dispell some of the replys, the coil (MSD blaster 2) is new, the cap was a direct replacement, and the firing order is correct. Pretty sure that its somewhere in the/timing tuning cause both sides seem to be doing the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 03:52 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: 86 CJ7 w/350, Tuning prob

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
And to dispell some of the replys, the coil (MSD blaster 2) is new, the cap was a direct replacement, and the firing order is correct. Pretty sure that its somewhere in the/timing tuning cause both sides seem to be doing the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Don't discount the MSD being bad.
2. Have you removed it?
3. Your initial instinct seems correct.
4. How have you attemtped to time the engine?
5. Dying with no warning, coughing, or stuttering is indictive of an electrical problem.
6. You could have more than one problem cropping up.
7. Drop back to basics with the electrical, as close to stock as possible.
8. Have you rotated the engine by hand watching the spark, and where it fires?
9. How does the spark look, big and fat, nice 'n blue, etc?
10. How do the points look, nice and shiney or pitted and arced?
12. How did the engine run for that 200 miles before the stalling problem occured?
13. Are there any crankcase fumes going into the distributor cap?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since I'm new to the forum, I dunno if you have been posting up about the build/motor swap into your CJ, so please bear with me...

Did you rebuild the motor before you installed it?? The symptoms that you're describing (backfiring, no power, etc...) could be a stretched timing chain, though that certainly wouldn't be responsible for the lack of spark at the plugs that you experienced. You could shoot the timing to see if it is in the same general area that you set it at when you installed the motor; if it's WAY off (with the vacuum advance disconnected, of course), the timing chain may be part of the problem.

But before you do any of that, I'd do like someone else is suggesting... take out all of the unnecessary pieces (anything more than the distributor and coil isn't needed) and see how it runs, then add 'em back in until it starts acting up again.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like it could be a cracked distributor cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode