Is this t18 overpriced? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is this t18 overpriced?

I found a place that i can buy a T18a transmission with bellhousing and adaptor to my dana 20 t-case for $1050. This includes shipping and a lifetime warranty.
I figure it will cost at least $300 to have my t15 three speed rebuilt.
Should i just bite the bullet and go for the 4 speed. I really want the the low gear of the 4 speed but am not sure if this is might be a bit overpriced. And like most I am on a limited budget but i think it would be worth it in the long run. Any opinions anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Is this t18 overpriced?

I paid $1000 for my Ford T18 that had been completely re-built and a Scout D20 that had been rebuilt, EB 2.46 gears installed, new twin sticks, and the adaptor. I didn't get the bellhousing (paid 40 later) or the warranty, but the swap was one of the biggest improvements. You will also be modifying/buying drive shafts since the new combo is 3" longer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:00 PM

I hae about 450 into mine with the T-18, Dana 300, Twin stick, and the bellhousing. But, I got the tranny in trade for a York Compressor and I had the 300 originally. I just had to get it rebuilt and the adapters installed.

TJ

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 05:43 PM

I paid 27.68 for my t18 with the bellhousing for the 302, had to buy the d300 adapter for 380 or so. I think it is to much cause a lifetime warranty on a bulletproof tanny is $hit. You arent going to break it and they arent that expensive to rebuild.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 06:16 PM

Seems way high to me...I got my freshly rebuilt CJ T18 for $500 with the bell housing(althought I didn't need it because I had the T150), adapter plate and shift linkage for the D20...and I thought I paid too much. For that amount I might start looking at the NV****. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I gave $700 for my 77 CJ T18 that was completely redone. I did not want to give that much but, the tranny had been sitting in a barn for about 10 years and it took me almost 3 years to talk the guy out of it. It was worth a little more to me to get an OEM tranny even though the Ford works just the same.

Good Luck!
Kriss
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:50 PM
pig

I bought a low mileage Ford T18 from the local bone yard for 200.00 the adapter to install my Dana300 will cost me 375.00 from novak. Since I gotta take the tranny apart to put the adapter in Ill replace any worn parts 100.00 tops. Like someone else said a life time warranty on a bomb proof tranny is about as useless as tits on a snake. Oh yea a T176 bellhousing is a direct fit to a T18 I beleive your bell houssing is a direct fit also. If you haven't already be sure to read what Novak adapters has to say about the T18 . Jeep made something like 14 different versions of the t18 they wont all fit any Jeep be careful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode