Auto Tranny Swap Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:02 PM
CJ8R

Auto Tranny Swap Questions

Will a TF999 automatic transmission from a 1990 YJ bolt in place of my T5 5 speed thats in my 1982 Scrambler? I was pretty sure that it would bolt right up with out any adapters, but would like to know for sure. If so, wouldnt the T5 bolt in place of the TF999 in the Wrangler (that way I still have 2 driveable vehicles)? Also will the throttle kick down cable and other necessary things work with my Electromotive TEC II Fuel injection setup that I am about to install on my 258 thats in my scrambler? Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: Auto Tranny Swap Questions

The question is are the two Jeeps sporting the same block configuration ie: 258 (4.2L) & 4.0L if so the answer is yes if you have the 4cyl or V-6 the answer is no. As to the ability of the kick down linkage being compatible to the Electromotive fuel injection I have no clue. You will need to change out EVERY thing from on to the other when you make the change. I can't advise on the compatibility of the T5 going into the 90 although it would bolt up to the motor is no doubt but the rest is questionable as to the parts needed. Flywheel and swing arm (pedal ass'y) will definatly be different as well as the flex plate for the auto,(this will need to replaced for the auto)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:49 PM
CJ8R

The wrangler has the stock 258 so Im guessing that the transmissions bolting to the engine side will bolt up just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:26 PM

Ok if you have a 258 in both Jeeps the change out should be straight across the board on both. The flex plate and the fly wheel both are interchangable from one year to the next on the 258,(balance was not changed). You will need the kick down to change out with the tranny. try not to move the adjustment as you remove it from the 90, (The slide screw adjustment). This is very hard to get set just right. You will need to get a pedal ass'y for a wrangler to install in the 90. I have one if I ever get it pulled out of my Jeep and replace it with the single brake pedal that I bought to put in after the change out. Your drive shafts will need to be modified unless you are lucky enough for the 999 and the T5 to be the same length.(not likely)! Also you will need to change out the tranny mounts. The output slines on the 999 will be 21. I'm not sure if the input splines on the Dana 300 are 21 or not. You may have to clock the x-case to get it to sit right.
Good luck on the change out I did a similar one from stick to auto last year so any help I can give let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode