How much to offer for parts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

How much to offer for parts?

I was talking to a friend of my sons father and he said he had a couple Jeeps for parts and I went and looked at them. We've known him about 5 years sons hang out all the time.

There is a 82&83 CJ7 pretty rough shape and he told me he had run an ad and only one guy came and looked at them but didn't want them. So he is going to try to sell the hard tops and doors and the good motor in the one but wants to get rid of the rest.

The 82 has the front dif with the right gears that I need for my buggy. The front end of the body is missing, Dash is stripped, the 6cly. motor has a knock, the T-5 is out and broke, and the tub might be salvagable for the low buck project and I could keep it all Jeep. Basicly its a rolling chasis with a set of stock rims, a tub, roll bar and motor

The 83 has the T-4 (rebuilt), T-case & driveshats that would easily replace the SR-4 behind my 151.

I told him I would be interested in the 82 the way it sits and the tranny, t-case, ect. out of the 83. I could use a lot of the stuff plus have some spare parts. He wants me to make him a offer and I have no idea what the stuff is worth. He wants to get rid of it and said he's not looking for top $ but wouldn't even give me a ball park figure. He knows I'm not working because of school and said to talk to my wife and make a offer. So what would be a fair price to offer that wouldn't be a insult?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: How much to offer for parts?

$800.00
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 08:38 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
. He knows I'm not working because of school and said to talk to my wife and make a offer. So what would be a fair price to offer that wouldn't be a insult?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're outta work (me too!), so who are you planning to insult? I see two possibilities:

a. You buy the Jeep and spend money that should be going other places.
b. You don't buy the Jeep and don't spend the moeny.

IMHO... the wife and family come first... a darned Jeep's pretty far down the list of things that are needed.

Save your money and energies for the family and gettin' a job. Then money won't be an issue. Then you can buy the Jeeps. It dosen't seem like their going anywhere. Then you don't insult anybody.

Waitin's a pain, but IMHO it's the way to go that won't harm anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm out of work because I'm a full time student going for my degree because of a back injury I needed to switch carriers. Me and the wife decided that way would be best and its paid off with the Deans list or Honor roll for 4 quarters now. The wife has a good job and is working a little extra plus I do pick up a odd job here and there. In my life God comes first and the family second and about another 100 things then the Jeep. At 40 years old and being married 11 of those and raising a 10 year old a son and 3 step daugthers already on their own. I know all about lifes priorities and I wouldn't make my family suffer for a Jeep. Plus this project is a joint venture between me and my son and a way for us to spend some quality time, bond and I can stay informed about whats going on in his life.

I just wanted to know what a fair offer would be and if it could fit in the family budget not a lecture about how to run my family because I only listen to God on that one!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:12 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Ask the question be prepared for an answer.
2. A simple thank you would be sufficent.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:00 PM

Do you have room somewhere for two extra Jeeps? Not that that matters in price but they are a pain to store and it needs to be considered. I am assuming you do.

I would say the frames and bodies off Jeeps in Southern Minnesota are basically worthless. Born, raised and lived in Northern Iowa (Mason City) and I know back then, Minnesota salted pretty heavy. There will be enough damage down deep that at most they are worth $50. Maybe $100 for both.

Front end $100, engine $100, good tranny $200, TC $100, drive shafts $50, Hardtops who knows. They are probably worth the most. I do the junkyard thing and get parts to fit Jeeps and not stock parts and find they are much cheaper. If the thing has power brakes that can pull $100 on ebay.

This is just my HAO, but you shouldn't spend too much.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 11:09 PM
pig

I like your prioritys Im 47 and have the same prioritys . Anyhow the jeeps seem pretty roached I know the trannys aren't real sought after , You can't get 100.00 for a 6 cyl on e bay the axles arent worth much. you, have to pay to have them towed. I don't know about your state but here in Ohio if you don't have a title NO salvage yard or scrap yard will touch them. You didn't say if they had titles. I would only give a total stranger 300.00 each tops if I had a lot of extra money unless they had some real choise parts like a Dana 44 or a dana300 transfer case. But if I got them cheap enough Id buy them just in case???? I just reread your article and thought about it a bit more with out the doors and hard top and for intents no motor Id be hard pressed to offer more than 500.00 for the pair. Maybe 200.00 each sounds about right (each)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:00 AM

If he just wants them gone and he knows your out of work and doing this as a "family" project than for your own interests i'd low ball him and offer $100 a jeep if you don't think that will offend him. If you sell off parts that you probably won't need in the future maybe split the profits with him though this looks like a great spare parts opertunity to me, think spare axle shafts, steering box, tranny, t-cases, you could have enough parts to re-build your jeep sitting in your tow rig at the trail head. You could probably trade some of those parts for parts you want or need if you found the right people.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok maybe I need to clarify exactly what I'd be getting. I'd like to get both Jeeps but I don't really need that many parts. I have plenty of room to store the parts so that's not a problem. So let me list exactly what I'd be getting and maybe that would help.

1. 83 normal rusted tub with no seats or gauges just has roll bar, steering column, bikini top &amp; rusty windshield frame (no hood/fenders)
2. 83 frame (don't need) Has P/S box &amp; tie rods, springs
3. 83 mod 20 rear w/3.54 non tracloc, stock axles
4. 83 d/30 front w/3.54
5. 83 6cly (has knock no radiator) may rebuild and use later on
6. stock steel wheels w/30" Wrangelers 75% wore
7. 82 T-4 was rebuilt and has maybe 10,000 miles
8. 82 D/300 and drive shafts

He may throw in the trashed 83 T-5 and D/300 sitting on the bench too. The 83 is together as described and I know it was bought for a parts Jeep and for the hard top he said he paid $500 for it when he got it and he stripped what he needed for the Jeep his wife drove. He is now divorced and has no use for them and wants the space back in his shed. He only lives about a mile away so towing won't be a problem. I forgot to ask about titles but I take it he has them he said he bought the 82 new.

Talking it over with the wife we're thinking about offering $200 and see what he says and I'll try to help him sell the rest. Does that sound fair?

The funny thing about this is my 10 year old son was staying over night there and they got talking about Jeeps and he was the one who said we were building a Jeep and may need some parts. He was so excited when he came home and told me he found some Jeep parts and said we could probably get a good deal on them. He even gave a good description of them. So if we get them I have him to thank for finding them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Leve Thank you for your opinion maybe I took it the wrong way. I just don't want to be characterized as not caring about my family because they are the most important thing to me in this world. I would die for them if I had to protect them and I take it very personal if someone thinks I would be selfish and make them suffer or go without for a stupid Jeep or anything else for that matter!

So sorry if I took it the wrong way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode