Need Help Picking YJ Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Help Picking YJ Lift

I'm going to be putting on a lift for my 89 YJ pretty soon, but I'm having trouble deciding which way to go. I want to run 35's on a 15x8 wheel. I like to ride the trails in Michingan's U.P. so I'll be driving it a long way just to get there so naturally I'd like to have a pretty decent on road ride. Here is what I've been considering:

5.5" Coil Conversion- who makes the best? besides the $3000 XCL. How is the ride with these?

Spring over- Does this give a pretty decent on road ride? I figure since I'd use the factory springs it couldn't be any worse right?

Shackle reversal kit w/ 4" springs and longer shackles in back- I've heard a shackle reversal is unsafe on road because the front end dives while breaking. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help Picking YJ Lift

This has been discussed numerous times here, but I'll give you my 2 cents.
Coil conversion--Every coil conversion I've seen on YJ and CJ have a really bad squat problem on the steep stuff. Will take you mucho experimenting and time and money to dial in.
Spring over--Your best way to go, but has steering issues you will have to sort out re:bumpsteer. YJ springs have a tendency to sag real bad with SOA though.
Shackle reversal--IMO the most overrated mod in existence, and yes can cause strange behavior under heavy braking.
Bottom line--IMO your best bet is a quality spring under lift in the 4" size. Overall, your best bet is SOA, but a lot of work to put into stock YJ axles which are gonna break anyway. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:43 PM

I like my Rubicon express 4.5 extreme duty. if you flex, it wont fit 35s without a body lift or some new bump stops or body trim. also, I get some bump steer. it is not easy to drive, but it sure is fun. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] the rear is a little stiff, but I don't have a hard top or a full size spare yet.

most kits come with bumps stops, the RE kit doesn't. But for 33 inch tires on the RE kit you really don't need them. I guess RE considers that extended bumps stops are for girly mans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 01:13 PM

If you go SOA- use JCWhitney's rear CJ-7 leaves on all four corners. They flex well and hold up better than Wrangler leaves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode