Holbrook LongLeafs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Holbrook LongLeafs

I was wandering has anyone heard of these holbrook longleafs. Better yet has anyone used them, i was thinking about buying a set and wanted to know as much as i could. They are ten inches longer than stock but are asymetrical. They claim more articulation, a much softer ride, and it provides about a 3" lift for '75 and before and alittle more for '76 and later. They're $750 for the set wich includes the leafs, the ubolts, and everything else except new shocks, t-case lowering kit, and dropped pitman. So what does everyone think or what are your experiences. www.holbrookspecialties.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Holbrook LongLeafs

This guy named Matt from Oregon is running them (he's on Holbrooks webpage), just ask him:
[email protected]
He's also registered on the POR bbs as notcrazyjustNuTz.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Nickmil

I got to try the Jeep that the Holbrook springs were prototyped on in Moab, Utah (Rich Imholt's "Bad Bee" yellow 3b that was pictured in the magazine articles). They work great! They articulate very well,
and are excellent on washboard roads. They really soak up the bumps. There is definitely more sway in the corners, but very controllable. I put them on the front of my race Jeep but blew the motor before
I had a chance to try them with the shackle reversal under race conditions. I will be definitely putting them on my '59 CJ-5 when I rebuild it in about another year. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Hey Nick, how's the CJ-6 coming along? Any pics of it? All finished?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Nickmil

Hi James,
Naw, bought a house in January in SE Portland and all my money and time has been going into remodeling that
and working on the new motor for the race Jeep. Probably around May or June I'll be working on it again. Broke a wrist
pin in that 500 hp 225. I'm building a Chev 4.3 roller motor now. Maybe not quite as much pony but a whole lot more
torque so shouldn't have to rev it quite so high. The 6 needs more body work, fuel tank, wiring installed, front fenders
reworked for the TJ Xenon flares I have here, build a rear winch mount, build rear bumper with spare tire carrier, paint it
rebuild hard top, run air lines for ARB's, build mounts for the air tank, build roll cage, Etc. The axles, motor, tranny, transfer,
and PTO winch stuff is all done other than cleaning up mounts and painting the frame. The gauges and dash is in, still have
to mount the air switches and gauge. Lots of stuff to do. I'm hoping by the end of summer to have it drivable, depending
on what happens with the racing season. Thanks for asking though! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Nickmil.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I recently found out about these springs too. Unfortunately a set for my '78 CJ5 runs upwards of $800 and I don't have that kinda cash right now. I've been looking around for a local spring shop to custom make me some based on the same principles. Unfortuantely the only places around make springs for tractor trailers and don't have a die small enough to accomodate the eye bushings for a CJ. I have one more shop to check, I hope i can come up with something. The holbrooks are very impressive!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Well, it finally happened! CJs grabbing some "technology" from the Commando guys? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Take a look under any stock jeepster/Commando and you'll find exactly what your looking for. A long spring pack with the centering hole offset to one end. I'd be willing to bet they are close to the measurements of the Holbrook leafs. I figured thats where they (Holbrook) got the idea when I saw a picture of his SC-2 Commando. Brent, if you want to measure a set up, let me know. I've got the stock 3-leaf packs on Mossy & a 7-leaf set in the backyard. It completely slipped my mind to tell you this last Friday evening. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 01:41 PM

Couldn't one also locate longer springs from say a full-size rig
and have the centering pin re-drilled. Or, if spring width is a concern, have the main leafs custom made and add in some Wrangler/CJ springs. I would also imagine that degree wedges of some type are needed as the centering pin is drilled on the curve of the leaf. Just wondering. $750 seems a little steep.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 02:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dave, I'd definitly be interested in the measurements. Center Pin to both eye bolts? are you planningon using the 7 leaf pack? if so, are you ditching the 3 leaf pack? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

brent
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:15 PM

Weird question, but what about old Chrysler cars? They all used asymmetrical leaf springs on the rears. Some of them were very asymmetrical. I am sure you could get dimensions from the Summit catalogue.

Best regards

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode