OT- Wisdom teeth... leaving...mouth...painfully!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT- Wisdom teeth... leaving...mouth...painfully!!

Wednesday I had the two of four wisdom teeth pulled from my skull. I hope that today I can eat something other than Cream of Wheat, pudding, or bananas. The dentist did everything short of wrapping it in plastic explosive and blasting them out. Also, I found out that my body doesn't react to novacaine like most people.... meaning that it doesn't really numb me. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] He dug, pulled, and ripped that thing out of my face as if all he gave me was one needle instead of the SEVEN that he gave me for each tooth. You could tell that he was getting frustrated and couldn't understand why I could still feel anything above my neck with the amount of novacaine he shot into me.
I feel like I got punched in the face. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
It probably could have been worse, since he gave me some Hydrocodone to turn me into a slobbering fool so that I could sleep.
Jeepchick has been great about it too...
She drove me to the dentist and back, bought some soft-on-your-mouth groceries, gave me a nice long back rub [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], and even left her new job early to take me to the dentist.
Anyone have any real hell stories about these useless things in the back of your mouth(wisdom teeth)? I still have to go back in a couple weeks to get the bottom ones removed. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Here's a pic to show how big the stinking root is on one of these puppies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 946183-Copy of Tooth2.jpg (49.0 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 07:22 AM

Re: OT- Wisdom teeth... leaving...mouth...painfully!!

I had my wisdom teeth out three years ago. They were severely impacted, the oral surgeoun wanted to take two out and the other two a few weeks later. I told him that he would take all four out at once or I'd live with it. They knocked me out, but misjudged the dosage. I woke up just as they started stitching up the areas, and the doctor slammed me with another full dose on anaesthesia. It took the doctor, a nurse, and my mother to carry (drag) me out to the car. I was semi-conscious, and remember waking up with the cute nurse next to me - I also remember asking her what the f**k just happened, she turned about three different shades of [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Whoops! No brownie points there!

The worst part is that for about a year after the surgery, once a month reliably I would have pain and swelling in my right jaw and cheek. Another visit with the oral surgeon confirmed that I had somehow gotten a piece of foreign material (probably food) lodged under the incision, and that they could either open me up again or I could wait it out till my body took care of it. I opted to live with the pain, and sure enough it went away.

My advice to you - pudding, ice, and popsicles. I ate them for a week before I could tolerate anything else.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Official Curmudgeon

About 25 years ago, my wife had hers removed. My mom took her in to the dentist, they had to stop twice on the way home so she could change the gauze. She laid around moaning for 2 days in bed with a heating pad on her mouth.

About a week later, I had to have one pulled. There was nothing wrong with it, the one that opposed it had become impacted and was pulled about 8 years earlier, so this one had grown down too much. I didn't expect any problems, so I drove myself to the dentist. When I got home quite some time later, my wife was acting strangely concerned. She asked me about problems in pulling the tooth because I was gone so long. I told her there were no problems, that I had stopped by the lumber yard on the way home to get some stuff and then I threw the package from the barbecued potato chips I had just eaten in the wastebasket. She was so mad at me.

I had another pulled about a month ago, this wasn't a wisdom tooth but the third molar from the back. I don't particularly like the girl that gave me the novocaine, she's too prissy. I joked with her that I probably didn't even need the novocaine, a little OraGel would do because it was so loose. After they pulled the tooth, she's giving me a bag with gauze in it and explaining how to change it if I need to and going through the "if you have any problems" bit.

Being a bit diabetic, I had to visit the rest room as soon as I got out of the chair. When I come out, she's standing there and starts a review, I opened my mouth to show her I'd already thrown the gauze away and wasn't bleeding.

Sorry to hear about your pain, but I have trouble actually relating to it personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'm so glad they weren't impacted!! One had an abcess under it, which made it a little more uncomfortable.
Honestly, it's a lot less painful than the cavity I had in the tooth pictured. My dentist has a rule... "I don't fill wisdom teeth. They're a waste of time since they are hard to reach with a tooth brush and they just get in the way of eating."
I had four molars pulled at the same time back when I was about 12 to make room for braces and the wisdom teeth coming in, that experience had to be the worst. My dentist at the time was my uncle and he shot me up with the minimal amount of novacaine and just told me to "stop being a girl.... it's supposed to hurt". [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
It really doesn't hurt too much, just some soreness. The stitches are a little annoying though. The most frustrating part is watching Jeepchick eat a box of cheez-its while I'm eating applesauce.
Wing night is Sunday night and I'm NOT missing that! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:56 AM
Addict

Ah, the thrill of getting your wisdom teeth pulled. It ranks right up there with getting your balls run over again and again by your jeep (not that thats happened, of course.) I had mine pulled out over spring break my senior year of high school. I missed everyday of track practice with the exception of the last saturday. Coach was pissed. I dont react very well to novacaine and anethesia, either. I get knocked HARD. Took me two days to get it all out of me. I slept for two days, getting woken up by my parents to change the guaze. The bleeding took a few days to stop, too, warranting a call to the dentist.
Jello (not too cold, though), pudding (see coldness rule again), and by the end of the week something other than campbells water, er soup.
Ill never forget how happy i was when i managed to eat all the soup out a bread bowl and open my mouth wide enough to "chew" the food on the roof of my mouth with my tongue...
I think I'd rather have the Jeep running over my balls...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:57 AM

My story goes like this. I needed my right upper one removed. It was broken a little and hurt like *&^$^%$*! So I go to the dentist and one of the girls there I went to school with. I'm pretty paraniod about it and she's like don't worry about it. We do it all the time. 1/2 hr in and out and you'll be fine.
So................
The dentest novacains me up and starts in. He works and works at it. The real problem is that my root has a big hook on it and looks like this--------> J. So they wheel in this giant toolbox. It looked about like my snap on one. RED and all!!!!!! Gets out several sets of pliers, hammers and chisles. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I'm pretty freaked at this point as I've been there for 2 hrs already. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I thought he was going to rip my head off or break my jaw at one point or another.(and made me sign a waiver if they broke my jaw [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]) Then got the hammer and chisle and started breaking it into pieces. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
They did finally get it out after 3 1/2 hrs. And called me for the next week to make sure all was well with my mouth.
So, when I needed to get my left upper one pulled I was SCARED as HE11 this time. I went in expecting the worse and was out in under 1/2 hr. No problems at all this time. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Oh.........but the stories not done yet.
I still need my lowers pulled. My left one has the top broken off. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
It doesn't hurt (yet!) but needs taken care of before it does. Pain = bad news (usually infection) when pulling teeth. And I know the bottoms are way harder than the tops................
So yes I feel your pain. And will again.........with out a doubt. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My left one has the top broken off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get that one out of there ASAP. That's why I originally went, broken tooth starting to taste bad. Not good!! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
That was the one that took the most time and caused the most pain since there was really nothing there for him to grab on to. He had to chip away at it and eventually cut it into four pieces. That is also the one that required stitches due to all the digging and prying. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Get rid of that thing before it does get infected or abcessed. That will make the experience much worse.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:28 AM

I know.........thats what I'm saying.
[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] :
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Went to the dentist for the first time at the age of 15.
2. The dental practice had a new dentist in the office.
3. I drew the short straw and was assigned to "the new guy."
4. He apoligized to me for being his "first patient."
5. I thought that strange.
6. I lived to regret the thought.
8. I asked him what I'd feel as the tooth was pulled.
9. He said: "You'll feel pressure, or pain."
10. I asked: "how'll I know the difference?"
11. He replied "You'll know," and proceeded to pull the tooth.
12. I tried very hard to back away but that pesky chair kept me in place.
13. He pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled...
14. I yelled, and yelled, and yelled, and yelled, and all most passed out from the pain.
15. When he got done I told him that it REALLY HURT.
16. He looked down at his tray and said: "Opps...."
17. I asked for clarification.
18. He said: "I forgot the novicane..."
19. I saw the syringe still laying, unused, on the tray.
20. We were both surprised.
21. I got a nice big reduction in the bill. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:55 AM
Official Curmudgeon

In my above post, I limited my response to pulled teeth, I did have a "dental" problem though. I started going to a VERY good dentist about twenty years ago, his name was John. Now that her name is Michelle, I haven't been back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode