New Member, Why we lurk - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

New Member, Why we lurk

Hello to all. I am new as a registered member, but have been monitoring the board for several months. I am astounded at the range and depth of knowledge exhibited by the posters to this forum. Between new and archived posts there is more than enough information available for me to keep my '88YJ running in good form. That smog motor is what drove me to look for Jeep folks! Thanks for the help, and keep the information flowing.

There are times when I am tempted to post a direct question, but don't for fear of encountering the dreaded "BlueYJ" response.

There was a recent post by HogeyWrangler as to a carb swap, followed by a polite and informative reply from Mckat. Then BlueYJ responds with red fervor about doing the proper search procedure before daring to bother this forum. Good grief. It's this kind of response that possibly keeps many people from posting questions or contributing good technical information. My wife doesn't talk to me in the tone of BlueYJ, so why would I expose myself to abuse from a complete stranger? I will not tolerate rudeness.

I did not see any flaming responses to any of BlueYJ's posted questions, so what's his priviledge for attacking anybody? He stresses the search function, but from his own posts of 11/1 and 11/4, he knows how frustrating the search can be. Depending on your word or phrase choice, you can read posts for hours and not find what you need. And God help you if you're on dialup service. Sometimes it's just easier to ask the question and get some quick responses. from knowledgeable people.

So keep up the good work and look kindly on us strangers. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 08:50 PM
RedSandDog

Re: New Member, Why we lurk

One of the nice things about this board is that the signal to noise ratio is very good. There is always a little noise, just need to adjust your attenuation (sp?).

I have gotten so much more good info than flames that I don't even worry about it (of course we will see how tonight goes, but I have a good supply of Sammy Adams on hand and I didn't have to deal with my Ex tonight, so.......)

Cheers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 08:50 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

[/ QUOTE ]
And thats the truth.
To be honest, I have used the search engine a million times and it sux. Sometimes you will get what you are looking for............sometimes not. I usually need it to look up an old post. And it's still tough. I still think you should try it first, but ask if you can't find it. I have answered this same carb question tons of time in one way or another. But I thought I would throw out some options again. This BBS is the reason my carter works. I am one (zen) with it now. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Keep on asking the questions people. If there were none.............there would be no SWB BBS.
Try to keep the flaming to a minimum.
And last...........
Read the "sticky" at the top LEVE has posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been a registered user for a couple years and only have a couple hundred posts so I'm more of a lurker than a poster. I gotten so much info just from hanging around and listening that I haven't had to ask too many questions. Usually there are plenty of quick answers so I haven't posted many replies either. But, if I want to ask or answer then I don't really give a damn about one or two people when there are hundreds of folk eager to help. Just my .02
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:27 PM

Yep, I wouldn't mind the knuckleheads. If you ask a question, even a simple one, chances are you'll get the answer you're looking for. You may weather a couple of flames, but I've found that someone always comes back with honest advice. There's enough good people on here...

If everything has already been answered and all you need to do is search the archives, then we all may as well log out and never post another thread, right?

I'm new at the Jeep thing myself and I'm learning a lot through this board, posting questions and searching the archives. I hope that one day I'll be knowlegeable enough to give a new person some sound advice on something I've experienced.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 10:27 PM
Old Hand

Hello and Welcome Joel ,
And God help you if you're on dialup service.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some people seem to forget that not everyone is fortunate enough to have anything faster. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here, Here!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've tried to find some of my old post's by way of the search button and have never turned up what I was looking for. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 10:57 PM
Way Outta Control

Skellator, </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I've tried to find some of my old post's by way of the search button and have never turned up what I was looking for.

[/ QUOTE ] Finding your old post is not hard if you remember what you wrote. That'st the rub... how do you remember everything you write?

IMHO, one of the best things you can do to find your old posts is to adopt a certian writing style, or word usage. This way you can often zero in on your post very quickly.... because you're about the only person who'd write that way!

Majordawg </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I did not see any flaming responses to any of BlueYJ's posted questions, so what's his priviledge for attacking anybody?

[/ QUOTE ]As for flaming... I'm not going to tolerate any of that stuff on this froum as long as I'm a moderator. What's the defination of flaming? IMHO... it's when the discusion becomes personal and name calling starts. Calling a person down for not obeying this rule, or another, as an example, is perhaps considered rude to a new user but also IMHO asking for fairness and that all participants should know and play nice by the same rules. It's not too different than playing in a sandbox.

I think that's why you didn't see any flaming of BlueYJ... flames don't do anything but create more heat. When there's more heat than light I'll lock, or close, the thread. Believe me he didn't have any special dispensation. I ain't the Pope.

There are lots of questions that can be deemed "stupid" by ol' timers like myself, but hey, we were all new owners at one time. I remembe looking at my first BBD carburator and wondering just why I bought my Jeep. Now a few years later I know a thing or two about 'em.

All I ask is that you participate, be nice and multiply your knowledge. Lurking is fine, but then we can't get to pick your brain. Two heads are better than one, and me, I like to know what I know, and what you know too! The only way that can happen is if we all participate in the exchange of ideas.

I picked up a hot-rod magazine today and started reading. Now all my life I've raised kids... and hot-rods never interested me.. never enough money to even feed the kids... a Hot-rod would be a marriage buster. But in the 20 minutes I was reading that one issue.. I had my eyes opened to just how much cross over knowledge that hobby has and could transfer to mine. I just wish I could get a few serious hot-rodder's to come on the foum and share what they know.

Knowledge is power.
Wisdom is knowing how to use the knowledge.

Thanks for the critique of the SWB forum. It's always welcome and always needed. When ever you have an idea or a thought that would help please don't hesitate to PM an admin or myself. I can't answer for Admins... but I do answer my Email within a few hours... or days, if I've been away and I'm not afraid of a little constructive critisim when it's warranted. You may not like the answer you get from me, but you will get an answer... it will be clear and you will know where I stand, and why.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 11:38 PM

hey,
i use to post alot, now i just check (lurk) the board now and then (runs in spurts) and post an occasion topic/question.......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:56 AM
Way Outta Control

When someone does flaming or critisizing what frustrates him
the most? What is his intention? Here or anywhere else for
that matter.

He wants to get a rise out of you, he wants attention.

Don't give it to him! Don't give him what he wants.

As my grandmother always said
"Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself."
It works great! You see it here all the time.

Let the flamer show his intelligence, or lack of it. The
more he does it, the more he proves he's a fool.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 06:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It is good that you are posting. Don't be shy, It is like my jeep club when new people email me about joining, I make sure to tell them to not be shy at the meetings and try to get in the conversations. Alot of us are very loud and at times that could be intimidating to those who are new, and te advice seems t obe wroking. We are getting new members lately that are jumping right in.

I think the search procedure is useful, but sometimes obnoxious if you do not know specifically what you are looking for. It seems that every question that is ask has been asked one time or another, so does this mean we should all shut up and not say a word? I post quesstions that I have seen posted before, but people experiences change and opinions change with time. So don't be up in arms if you get a bad poster, chances are there will be somebody to post next to encourage you, or put the "Flame poster" in place. And you got to notice that it is usually a newbie trying to get some turf who are quick to "flame" or just be obnoxious, but they don't last long on this board, because others don't allow it. The pirate board has its merits, but not here.
And also.. definately expect an obnoxious response to go search if you ask about "What lift and tire" can I fit. I do believe that is the only post that will get you in trouble.

I have a couple of friends that are Ghosts on this board.. one day they will post, but like alot of people, there is so much to learn here with out making a post.

Glad you are one of the vocals!!!

Just noticed.. What part of Southwest Florida are you located at? I am in Cape Coral.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode