Transmission options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transmission options

Hey all. Thanks for the help, I am running with only a few problems left. Tranny is vibrating accelerating and decelerating and grinds in 2nd and 3rd. My question is what are bolt in options for Tranny in a 74 cj5 304 w/ dana 20 transfer. Was thinking of junk yarding so any options like Ford, Chevy ?? particular years and styles?? was reading in previous posts, AX15?? Thanks again for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Transmission options

A T-18 would probably be a pretty easy swap. I believe that it would bolt right in. You failed to mention what your Jeep has in it now for a trans. You best and easiest bet would be to find an exact replacement, or pull yours, and rebuild it, or have it rebuilt. If you put in a trans that is longer or shorter than the one you have you will run into drive shaft changes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 02:51 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Do a search for doing a T18 swap. It's a great tranny, especially if you like taking your CJ off the paved road. Some of the T18's came with a 6.32:1 first gear which makes it great for crawling over rocks. There are a few different models of the T18 though, but if you do a search you'll learn which is the best for you. It fits in pretty easy with minimal work on your part. I have a T18 in my '77 CJ and I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 03:16 PM

From a quick look at the JeepTech pages, my guess is you may already have a T-18. Do you know what's in it? Take a look here and see if you can identify what you have. If you have a T-18 already, rebuild it if you can.

The AX-15 mentioned in an earlier post was in response to someone looking to replace their Wrangler tranny going behind a 258... a significantly different situation. You would not want to put an AX-15 behind a 304. It is only a medium duty tranny (made to go behind a 6) and I don't even want to think about how you would bolt it to a 304 or a Dana 20... good golly gives me shivers thinking about it. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I agree with Olin18 and knifeboy2 about the T-18. That would be the preffered tranny for you if you don't already have one. The only reason you would want something different is if you really decided you had to have a 5 speed - and then you are talking dollars, adapters, and allaroundpaininthetail compounded by the fact that you have a really short wheelbase with a CJ5.

If you don't have one in there now or it's not rebuildable for some reason AND you can't find one anywhere, the Chevy SM420 and 465 are good strong trannys but I don't know how hard it would be to bolt one up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 03:19 PM

You really have no bolt in options for a 4 speed other than the T-18 and that is providing you can find a CJ version. As far as I know there are no Bolt ins for your 74 CJ from Chevy or Ford. Keep in mind that any tranny you choose form either Chevy or Ford will have to have an adapter to mate up to the transfer case. Certain Ford trannies will botl to certain stock AMC bellhousings. Certain Chevy bellhousings will bolt to certain Jeep engines, such as the Dauntless V-6 and the I4-151. I would suggest you get your T-15 (If your tranny is original) rebuilt, if you do not mind the 3 speed. If you have to have a 4 speed, find a T-18 for the granny gear or use a T-176. For the most part the rest of the trannies will be light duty. The T-176 is a medium duty 4 speed that will bolt up to the motor as long as you use the bellhousing that came with the T-176. Then you have 2 choices. You can either use a Dana 300 transfer case or get an adapter to bolt the T-176 to the Dana 20. I have virtually the same set up as you. I am also looking for a tranny upgrade. I have not been able to find a suitable solution as of yet. I am considering a TF-727 as a replacement for my T-14.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fairly sure I have t15 3 spd stock tranny. I dont think I have the tools or skill to rebuild. Price quoted for rebuild so far is $500 to 600, sound about right? If I could find a t18 for good price that might be the way to go, like the idea of having a granny.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:01 PM

It cost me about $550 to repair a T176 a couple years ago. It should come with some type of warranty so check on that.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. Any prices on a working t18?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:25 PM

Don't sell yourself short on rebuilding the transmission. Manual transmissions are fairly simple devices, and usually don't take any special tools at all. Some have a "Chinese Puzzle" trick where something must be done in a particular order, but any How To book will cover that. The insides need to be kept clean, but that's not nearly as critical as an engine.

I would rate a rebuild well under a swap on the tools and skills scale.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim_Lou. Think I'll pick up a how to book for some lite reading. Any web sites with step by step picks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode