Help Choke motor sometimes has power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:39 PM
BigJ

Help Choke motor sometimes has power

88 YJ. The engine starts easy some times, hard others. So far three times this scenario has happened. Drive for about 20 minutes after engine is completely warmed up. Before driving, the diagnostic port (from 258 primer)for choke has 12V and sometimes the wire to the choke itself does. After 20 minutes or so it runs rough and stalls. Choke is closed and won't stay open. Put a meter on the port tonight and the voltage was jumping all over and the wire to the choke had 0.2 volts. I have oil pressure and the guage seems to work. It runs well for a while (20-30 minutes) and then it starts to gag and stall. I'm going nuts! Anyone? Can you jump a wire from some other source to give the choke motor juice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:03 PM
BigJ

Re: Help Choke motor sometimes has power

I just checked it again after it sat for a while. I have 12V at the test port and 12V at the wire to the choke while it is running. Any clues? Seems it looses voltage after it is running for a while.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help Choke motor sometimes has power

When I did my m/c 2100 upgrade I wired the choke to the ignition, so I know I have 12v all the time. Seemed like the best thing to do at the time and has worked fine for 2 yrs. like that.I understand some alternaters have a connection for choke which is something like 7v? The choke wouldn't open as fast at 7v.I didn't look for that on my yj.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode