OT- Poor maintenance rant-Why do people do this?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

OT- Poor maintenance rant-Why do people do this?!?

I finally ripped the driveline out of my CJ2A so I could rebuild the trans, t-case, and swap in the V6. Everything was going according to plan until I opened up the tranny case. Now I wasnt expecting a perfect set of gears or anything, but this was horrible! I had already bought a new input shaft, synchro's, 2nd gear set, and all bearings. T-90's are bad about these, and I needed a different input for the engine swap. Once I got into the case, I found that the ONLY fluid in there was WATER! Not any signs of gear lube mixed. I think this could have been bottled as pure spring water, except it had RUST FROM MY WASTED CLUSTER GEAR! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
I understand a 50 year old gearbox isnt going to be perfect, but come on! Apart from half this thing being repaired with coat hangers and duct tape, the ol' Willys is in great shape. Oil was good in the engine, coolant was new and not contaminated, etc....HOW HARD IS IT TO CHECK THE TRANS! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
The t-case wasnt much better. It had a SMALL amount of slippery substance in there, but it was a token amount. Bearings chewed up.
The moral of this.....$20 of maintenance would have saved $125 worth of gears and shafts!

OK, just had to get that out. I am always having the same problem with people coming into my shop with their car knocking and they ask "why". Then they tell me they "change the oil every 12,000 miles becuse they cant afford the $20 to have it done more often". "Hmmmmm" I say. "This will now be a $3000 oil change, but you get a free engine!" [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now four-wheelers are some of the best at taking care of their rides. However, for everyone who isnt,PLEASE people, maintenance is simple, and will save you major $$$ over the big repairs later. Trust me. If everyone started taking care of thier vehicles, I could be out of a job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT- Poor maintenance rant-Why do people do this?!?

I have to wonder how that much water got into the trans? You almost would have to think that someone put it in there. That would be pretty sad.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 AM

People would put a lot of mechanics out of work if they did better maintenance. I think the lack of it comes from 2 things ignorance and laziness. They either don't know any better or are to lazy to check and grease things but its funny how a large repair bill will teach them to check things.That or they will just say its a piece of junk or the mechanic is a rip off. Some people even think all that maintenance a mechanic suggest is just a scam so he can make more money but,trust me, the mehanic would much rather change the fluids then have to pull out the tranny and rebuild it ! Being a mechanic for 15 + years I have learned that no matter what some people just have more dollars then cents!

I doubt anyone would put water in the trans my guess if it wasn't driven through water that it was stored outside with no top and the water entered through the shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Official Historian

I agree with in2mud, I bet it's rain that came in through the shifter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:25 AM
Way Outta Control

1. People are ignorant.
2. People choose to remain ignorant.
3. People pay a BIG price for their ignorance.
4. Beware of ignorant people in large groups.
5. That's called a mob.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:27 AM

Watch out for a cracked case. I had the same trouble with my T150. Water kept getting in it and I was changing fluid. I wasn't even driving it and it would get in there. Mine I think was a bad pilot bushing. Didn't figure this out until I pulled the engine. The pilot took out the front seal and or bearing and the heating/cooling was causing condensation to build up. Same may happen to you or again-a cracked case letting condensation in. Flux it or something but it may be deeper than lazy people.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 10:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Soon after I bought my CJ5, the Tranny went out. 2nd synchro was already going and I knew it. Luckily the day that I was planningon doing the tranny swap was also the day that my tranny decided to go out on me. when I pulledthe drain plug to start the swap here's what came out

COME ON PEOPLE!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Way Outta Control

Some people just don't understand, even so-called intelligent
ones.

A few months ago I was visiting a friend in a smog shop,
Pasadena CA - a customer came in for a smog test.
The tech checked the oil before running it on the dyno -
no oil showed on the dipstick - none.
The tech showed the owner, told him he had to put oil in it
before running it.
The customer (we later found out he was a teacher at
Cal Tech during the ensuing shouting match) refused to let
him add any oil.
He said oil was just a scam, he put a quart in a year ago,
that should be enough.
He said it spreads around inside and stays there.
The tech wouldn't run the test, he pushed it out the door
and told the guy to leave. The tech was didn't even want
to start it like that.

The guy called the cops! He said it was discrimination because
he wouldn't fall for the oil company's scam!
The cops just laughed at him.

2 things -
I hope he isn't teaching how to design the space shuttle
there at Cal-Tech.

Great testimoney for the little Toyota 4 banger.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: OT- Poor maintenance rant-Why do people do thi

Yeah, same thing happens with my fiancee's twin sister. She has a nice little 1995 Toyota Camry. I think it is totally amazing that the thing still runs. It has had like 1 oil change since she got it... and no maintenance other than that. Try that with a Chrysler. I had to spray some white lube on the door hinges so they could get the doors to open and close again.

My mom was bad like that too... until a handful of $3,000 "free engine and transmission along with oil change" finally made her get the message.

I am a maintenance nerd with my vehicles. It does pay off, though, and I usually never really have any trouble with them except for normal wear and tear items.

It is hard to explain to people that substituting Slick50 for their engine oil is not a good thing and does not subsititute for an oil change.

Best regards

John
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 12:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT- Poor maintenance rant-Why do people do thi

OK, I have to rag on my brother a little now. He had a '90 F-150 witha 6 banger in it. He was shippied off to Korea for a year withthe Army. I was in college and about to get a vehicle. we decided to hold off onme getting a car and I drove his Truck while he was away. I took damn good care of that truck. Regualr oil changes and maintanance. Inlcuding Duralube on a few oil changes over the 35K miles I put on it. (lots of road trips that year in school [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )he came back and took possesion of his truck again. about a year later I borrowed his truck and drove from Chralotte NC to Highpoint (about 60 miles) on the interstate. when I fired it up I thought it sounded a littel odd my immeadiately quited down and ran fine. Good temp and all. Let it sit for a few hours and went to fire it up again. Again same terrrible noise, I turned it off and pulled the dipstick. NOT A LICK OF OIL! BONE DRY!!! I rummaged thru his toolbox and found a quart of oil that I promtly poured in to take it to the parts store and top off.

WhenI returned the truck to him I gave my OLDER brother the 3rd Degree on treating "my" truck that way. not long after the truck went to [bleep], shot tranny, I couldn't tell you how many tires he blew on that thing, he couldn't keep ruber on the rims for anything. Since that truck he's kept good care of his vehicles.

Stilldon't understand how there was no oil, it never burned or leaked oil whenI had it [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode