scout 44 knuckle question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:53 PM
toadmcd

scout 44 knuckle question

I've got my hands on a scout dana 44 front. I also have the brakes, spindles and hubs etc. that go with it. I don't have the knuckles. My question is, can i put all this stuff on a different steering knuckle say from a CJ or chevy and make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:32 PM

Re: scout 44 knuckle question

No. The Scout spindles are 8 bolt whereas CJ knuckles are 6 bolt. If you absolutely want to use Scout knuckles I have a set for sale. Otherwise you can take everything from the knuckle out off of a CJ d30 and put it on the Scout d44.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:51 PM
toadmcd

Ok, i can see the problem with the spindles. I'd like to use some CJ knuckles for steering reasons. so here is another question. If I use CJ knuckles and spindles, can I use the scout rotors and hubs. Or would it be possible to take a cj knuckle, remove the studs, redrill, tap, and put in a 8 bolt stud pattern for my scout spindle. or would this weaken them too much? I'm looking to use as many parts as possible from what I already have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:55 PM

You fail to mention in your post what the axel is going in, And your profile is incomplete also. Please fill it out and people will be better able to answer your questions. I`ll take a shot. I assume it`s going in a Jeep. I`m using the same axel in the front of my `72 CJ. These are the differences I found. The Scout D44 knuckles have 8 bolts holding on the spindle, Jeep 30`s have 6. I believe Chevy`s have 6 also. The CJ knuckles will go on the Scout 44, But when you try to attach the tie-rod it will hit the diff. cover. The chevy knuckles will go on also, And will hold the tie rod out far enough to clear the diff. cover. If you go that route you will find your turning radius diminished due to the longer steering arms of the Chevy knuckles. What I did was re-drill the arms of the scout knuckles to match as close as possible ( I got within 1/4" of my CJ knuckles), And since I was building my own tie-rods I bent it to clear the diff. cover. Also, Scout front ends have 0 caster. The knuckles that are welded to the axel tubes will have to have the welds ground off and then be turned towards the rear to achieve the proper caster angle, Approx. 6 degrees. When I did my conversion I was told I could`nt use the Scout knuckles, I found that to be un-true. Either way, your in for some work. It can be though, Mine is working fine and its my daily driver. If you go to the tech section of off-road .com, There is a good write-up for what I`ve talked about. Good Luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:08 PM
toadmcd

OK, its going in a CJ7 but its going to remain at its full width. I have already ground off the welds and made the castor adjustment. My question is simply this. What parts from the scout (brakes, rotor, spindle, hub) can I put on a CJ knuckle. If I can't use the scout spindle, can I use a Cj spindle with any of these other parts that I have. I am probably going to end up making my own tie rods. I've got some really nice warn hubs for this thing and I'd like to use them if possible.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:57 PM

You can put your CJ knuckle, spindle, rotor, brakes, hubs and all on the scout axle. no need to use the scout stuff, its retarded anyways. Just use the CJ stuff and be done with it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 05:59 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The CJ knuckles will go on the Scout 44, But when you try to attach the tie-rod it will hit the diff. cover

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe. I have D30 outers on my CJ with 1 1/8" solid tie rods. They brush the cover, but have never contacted it enough to do anything other than keep the contact spot shiny. With stock rods it will be close, but I don't see it contacting enough to be a problem.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 06:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you will have contact with the diff cover.. and junk all the scout stuff.. and use the cj's... from the knuckle out.. the rotors are usually the same.. if its a late 70's cj.. and the scout stuff.. is just more expensive to begin with..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode