Buying an '89 Wrangler, anything to look out for? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Buying an \'89 Wrangler, anything to look out for?

Friend of mine is looking at an '89 YJ w/high miles (like 186K), no rust (garaged whole life), 6 cyl, 5 spd, completely stock, never off-roaded, Islander package, good paint. I am helping him check it out and want to know if there is anything specific to look out for. I know the general stuff: frame rust, bondo, fluid leaks, tight tranny, etc. But any and all additional advice is welcome. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:18 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Buying an \'89 Wrangler, anything to look out for?

That 5 speed is JUNK, it's the worst tranny Jeep every used. Do a search on them, they always seem to go, and are very expensive to fix. Unless it's DIRT cheap or if you plan on swapping out the tranny, I'd pass on it and go to something better.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:24 PM

I'll second that motion on the tranny. I've had problems with mine ever since I've gotten my 89YJ, and am fearing the day when i have to shell out the family fortune to buy a new one. You'll have to put up with the carter carb as well which can be problematic. Ask if he has the service history. I have the service records of the previous owner back to the date of purchase. Of course I've still had probs with my 89yj, but I suppose that a well-maintained jeep will give you better luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Yeah, I do seem to recall a lot of negative info on the tranny (puegot I think). The guy does not plan any real wheeling, just something to tool around in on dirt roads, farm fields, pull a small boat down to the town ramp. And we think we can get it for a really good price, but I am sure he is definitely not into swapping the trans. What do y'all think. Still worth checking out?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:05 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Give us more details, like the price, rust, options, etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Wrangler88

wait guys before u trash the tranny remember that some time durning 1989 they stoped using the BA10/5 and switched to the AX-15, i don't recall the month, but some '89 did come with the AX-15...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:19 PM
BigJ

I bought an 88 about 6 months ago that has 172k. All stock/no rust. I agree with the transmission. The synchronizer in mine is gone so it grinds shifting. I would check to see if the gear oil has ever been changed. The fill plug to the tranmission is a wacky 5/16 pipe plug (female). When I cracked mine open burnt oil poured out. They overfilled it to hide the bad synchronizer. If it doesn't have tags and needs to get inspected, Maryland is a PITA (emissions too). The engine was completely rebuilt and I brought a buddy who build race engines to check if it really was. Just didn't check the trans. I'm new at all this. As for the engine, I have some land in Western MD and it has plenty of low end torque for the rocks and logs out there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 11:15 PM
Veteran

Yeah, "look out" for a '91 at least and save ur buddy a lot of headaches...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Journeyman

In March of 1989 they started putting the AX15's in Wrangler's. I have an 89 with the AX15. Just check to see which one it has. All you have to do is look at the production date under the hood.

Andy
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 01:02 AM

I have an AX15 in my 89... dunno how it got there.. perhaps the previous owner. Your guess is as good as mine.. check what it's got..

pop the hood and check the linkages on the carter.. make sure they're nice and solid.. no play..

then the usual car stuff.. wheel bearings, diveshafts.. rust, frame.. on and on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode