44 spindle interchange ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

44 spindle interchange ?

Ok I was planning on getting the mid-70's Chevy Knuckles, spindles, and brakes to go on a waggy 44 with ford rotors for 5x5.5.

I was going to try to get them to split the knuckles and out on the 44 for me so I could just buy the housing and shafts. Well they won't break it apart for me so my question is:

Will the spindles for the wagoneer work with the chevy knuckles and ford rotors? If so do they use the same inner and outer bearings as the chevy/ford combo does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 44 spindle interchange ?

they do not use the same inner bearing.. same outer.. yes.. but you can take those spindles to a machine shop and have them turned down to fit the inner ford bearings.. should be about $40.. for both of them.. ball park figure
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

You can use waggy spindles if they are from '74-'76. These spindles should have the 1.7812 id that you need for the ford hubs and rotors. I got a '76 axle form a waggie so that way I have both the correct spindle and the flat top knuckle for the high steering. Or you can get new spindles spicer part number 706528x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 01:59 AM
Old Hand

I have a set of the spindles that work with the ford hubs (came off a '75 wagoneer). I am planning listing them on ebay, but would sell them for $75/both. The local junk yards around here are getting $50 per side if you can believe it.

I also have a set of the flat top knuckles that I am also going to list on ebay, but would sell for the $75.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, from what you guys have said then and from reading on your site jeepgod....I should be able to use the 89 wagoneer brake calipers and backing plates with the chevy flat tops and the smaller outside diameter spindle from a chevy or a 74-76 waggy?

If so that will be good cause then I can use the brakes that are on the axle I am considering and all I have to do is get different spindles or have them turned down combined with flat tops and ford rotors and hubs.

Thanks for being patient with me guys I just don't want to buy anything twice or parts that I don't need. Hard to keep straight all the things that are interchangable from year to year but I am learning thanks to this board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode