GONE INSANE! Scrambler Conversion..PICS/Jeepnmatt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 04:43 PM
85Jeepny

GONE INSANE! Scrambler Conversion..PICS/Jeepnmatt

Ok...here's the deal, I can get a Scrambler frame and body for $250 dollars, the front is jacked up, windshield frame gone, front part of tub crunched. It was in a roll but only the front was crunched. The frame is straight nothing tweaked......I have ALWAYS wanted a scrambler....but they are WAY too expensive....

Here's my BAD INSANE idea...lemme know what you think

Take the frame, redo it, POR15, make it nice!
Take the body (Scrambler) and use from end of door back
Take the CJ7 body end of door to front clip to use
Take everything from the CJ7 that can be used to build the Scrambler. I know I would need the rear driveshaft for a scramber, longer brake lines, fuel lines...

What other issues would you think would be an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: GONE INSANE! Scrambler Conversion.....

I would suggest buying one that wasn't rolled if you want something that looks good.... I like scramblers too and would love to have one but if i were to have to do some body splicing then I would just lengthen a CJ7 tub. That way you don't have to bob the tail. Or even better start with a YJ frame (square tube would be easier to stretch and make look factory). You can pick up both a YJ frame and tub for decent prices and stretch both of those. I have less than $1000 in my street jeeps frame, tub, and windshield and it came with roll bar and pedals too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 06:00 PM
85Jeepny

But wouldn't using the YJ frame be a lot more work? The frame is good, I would just want to POR15 any frame if I'm redoing it. I'm thinking the scrambler way because the frame is already there, factory sized and the from right behind the door is straight and undamaged. So if I wouldn't be "adding" and body, I would just be matching my tub to it's and then welding together. Granted it's not as strong as the YJ but If I want I can always reinforce to be as strong.

Just thinking outloud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

You would only have one seam if you just welded a new firewall in the scrambler.... How is the rest of the body is it rusty? Have you looked over the frame really good to see if there are any rust holes? I am just thinking in terms of total work to be performed. It is hard to pass on awesome deals sometimes and with a jeep you never know what you will eventually use (my trail jeep body was thrown in with a roll bar I bought cause it was so rusty). Could you beat the dents out of the cowl or have a good frame man do some pulling on the tub and use it as a trail beast? If the frame is straight and fairly rust free you probably would be in good shape as an purchase.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:13 AM
85Jeepny

Welll, the cowl and the front part of tub aren't usable, but from mid-door back there isn't any rust or dents, the frame appears to be in really good condition.

I am going to make a nice trail beast, but trying to make it look OK as well. I will probably just go full on trail beast as is goes on! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Something like what you have in your signature pic.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:33 AM

get a YJ tub to clip into the front...its what i did.

i can email pics if you'd like, then you can post them too.

the cj-8 frame should be fine for a street-vehicle and some modrate off-roading. if you want to do serious 'wheeling, chop up a YJ frame.

matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:59 AM
85Jeepny

Yeah, I definately would like to see pics of that. You can email them to [email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:09 AM
Addict

Just a quick note, if it's been rolled definitely do a lot of measuring of the frame. Sometimes a frame can be unnoticeably tweaked and in need of straightening. I'd love a Scrambler. There is one in the corner of a local asphalt company's parking lot that is just rusting away but the owner refuses to sell it. It's been sitting there for at least 2 years. Sad, sad. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dude, go here for Scrambler specific info!

http://forums.cj-8.com

You will need to register to see all the threads and post there its worth it (and free). There is plenty of good info there and lots of Scrambler owners who have all sorts of experience and advice.

I'd say from the quick scan I made of this thread that your idea is sound, the CJ-8 is exactly the same as a CJ-7 with the exception of drivelines,frame/body/tail length. All the rest of the parts are interchangeable.

$250. bones sounds like a steal. DO IT.

Mark
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 AM

my scrambler had never been wrecked, but the front bumper was bent. i assumed that the frame was still straight...it ended up being about 1/2" out of square over the entire lenght. this could be within AMC's tolerance range, but i wish i would have taken it to a frame shop to get straightend before spending a hundred hours building a body. oh well...for what it is, it's fine.

i'll email you some pics if you post them here for all to see.

matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode