PTO on D300? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

PTO on D300?

I was searching through our parts house this morning at work and found a bin full of Dana PTO units that bolt onto t-cases. One had a tag on it that said "'81 chevy". They are a steel unit with a lever that slides a gear over to make the shaft run. Has any body ever heard of a pto on a Dana 300 case? I know the old d-18's could have one, but I've never heard of the newer 20's and 300's with them. I'm saving up to put the terra low gears in my case, so when I get it out, I might try to adapt one on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 03:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: PTO on D300?

check, but I dont believe the 300 even has provisions for stubing a shaft out of it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 04:51 PM

The PTO for the D20 replaces the bottom cover. A gear in the PTO meshes with the bottom of one of the TCase gears.

Somebode on this board once said that the Terra Low kit changed the gear that the PTO meshes with, so the PTO and Terra Low are mutually exclusive. I hope that such is not the case. It might be possible to change the gear in the PTO and make it work again - don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

The tera kit replaces the gears with different sizes so I would highly doubt a stock PTO would work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

True. I don't know what these will even mate up with. The dana tags are still on them, but the part numbers don't mean anything to me. Chevy used a lot of NP t-cases, so these might not even work with a dana case. I'm going to snag them anyways, they may become good trade bait later on. They were just collecting dust where I found them and will not be missed.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:42 AM
Nickmil

The dana 300 never had a PTO unit built for it. The 20 unit will physically bolt up to the bottom of the case but the tooth
count and diameter of the gear will not allow it to mesh correctly. You would have to have the pto drive gear made. I looked for two years for a stock PTO to fit the 300.
Everyone laughed at me. Same goes with the 20 with low range conversion. If you have the 2.46 (Bronco gear) conversion, you can use the PTO drive
gear for the Early bronco with 2.46 gears. These however are extremely hard to find. If you have a Tera conversion,
forget it. Again, you would have to have a custom gear made for the PTO unit. I ended having a Chelsea PTO unit
built out of NOS parts for 6.34-1 NV-4500 so it was reversible for my PTO winch. The 5.61 NV PTO is available all day long,
but not for the early ones as the tooth count on the cluster gear is different. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode