I knew this day would come. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I knew this day would come.

I knew it was only a matter of time until I was going to have somthing go wrong where I wasn't comferdable working on it. To this point in my Jeep life I have been lucky enough that I have never had to break into the engine. I have worked on the engine on the outside, but never gotten into the inside.
Well the AMC 360 has developed a tick. I get a ticking noise when the engine is under load. When the load is gone, like at idel there is no tick. From the sound of it it is coming from the top of the motor. Valve problem I am guessing, because those are the only things that move up there. How is the best way to trouble shoot this noise and figure out what it is. And then the next step will be to figure out how to fix it.. if need be. I have heard of people who have ticking engines that run just fine. Any help or advise on this subject would be great, like I said, I have never had any experence working on the inside of an engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:13 AM

Re: I knew this day would come.

There's nothing in the valve train that is load sensitive. The good news is that this is the classic description of an exhaust leak at the manifold. Except that usually they are audible at idle - just a lot less noticible.

Take a flashlight and some dental mirrors and look carefully at each joint between the head and the manifold. You should be able to see some signs of exhaust leakage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Also open the hood with the engine running in the dark and look for stray sparks from the ignition. Because higher RPM gives higher oil pressure, valve train noises tend to be more noticeable at idle. Since yours is the opposite, I'd be looking elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:50 AM
Official Historian

Or another way to 'look' for exhaust leaks is to move your hand around the manifolds during the first few minutes the engine is running and the manifolds are still cool enough to touch. You'll feel the air leak.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the input, that is a load off to know that the valves will make noise all the time. With my problem there is a serious difference in volume as rpms go up. I can live with an exhaust leak, I will try to those ideas to find where my problem is, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode