Building a custom spring pack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Building a custom spring pack

Well I have everything pretty much done on the jeep, just a few loose ends to tie up (non-essentials mostly). The front leaf springs I put on were rear YJ springs and they were squated a little unweighted and now that I have everything (winch too) mounted they are almost dearched. I am running a 727 dana 300 so I need more lift out of the front to clear my driveshaft. I have another set of YJ rear springs and I was thinking about adding the two longest leaves to my spring pack. Would this lift it or just lift it the thickness of the springs. I need about 2-3" more lift to make me feel comfortable about not smacking the pan. I also have a set of toyota rear springs off about a 82 and some 74 front wagon springs. I am flat broke and while I would love to go buy some 3" BDS's it is not really an option right now. Any Suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Building a custom spring pack

When it comes to building spring packs its all in the guess of lets try this. At work we have put together all kinds of springs and sometimes it works the way you think it will and sometimes it doesnt. Now if you go the a spring shop and tell them what you want they have it figured out. One thing you may need to do is have the longer springs re arched and then the spring you add will keep them up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:50 AM

As long as the leaves you add have more arch unloaded than the current pack loaded, they will add some lift. They will also make the spring pack stiffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I just remembered I have a set of 4" CJ7 springs under the house that have the top leaf bent on one of them. I wonder if the top leaf off the toyota pack would work on them (it is a little thicker longer and double wrapped). Only thing is I am SOA in the front and with 4 additional inches it is going to be way tall.... Guess I will have to just try a couple combinations (damn lot of work).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode