Searching for 258 FI project parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Searching for 258 FI project parts

My YJ is a daily driver and tearing down the 258 and slapping on FI would take too long and the jeep out be out of commission. So here is my plan. Go to the yards, or search onlne, for a 258 that needs rebuilt. Here is the catch, i am also looking for any parts to an FI swap.

Rebuild the 258 and place the 4.0 head on it. Then set up the FI and wiring harness. For the 258 rebuild, what low end parts are best to get? (companies, tolerances??) Was there any 'prime' year for the 258 block?? The 4.0 head i have now is practilcy brand new so i dont think i will rebuild that. (just get it checked out and leveled) For the FI harness, what year vehicles do the stock harnesses match up best to? (less unnessasary wiring??, more than enough adaptors)???

Any suggestions in the FI sawp and 258 rebuild? I will take anything and everything... (i really dont want to build a stroker 4.0)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:53 PM

Re: Searching for 258 FI project parts

Look for these block and crank Numbers ...

1975-79 258 4.2L 1/2" Head bolts

Blocks: 3227445 and 3224098
Head: 3227258
Crank: 3214723

1980 258 4.2L 1/2" Head bolts

Block: 3235077
Head: 3227258
Crank: 3214723

Those blocks already have 4.0 sized head bolts and the 1980 and younger # 3214723 crankshaft is the heavily counterweighted one that helps your low end grunt. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

From a chart on my ...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. How often does a crank go out in a 258? This engine is going to be done from ground up. Say i can get a hold of a new than '80 258, will an aftermarket crank for an older year, fit right in?? I like that torque idea...

Where do you guys buy your engine parts from?? Suggestions on cam size? Looking for high quality products at a not so steep price.

What year(s) should i be looking for for the FI set up?? Whitch year(s) are easist to swap in?? Thanks agian...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:07 AM
FrenchJeeper

Hello,

I don't know much about rebuilding a 258 but i found A good FI Guru who can build nice kit from old parts. You can check it at CUSTOM EFI ...
Good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Interesting site. But i am thinking more allong the lines of a jeep mpi set up from a donar vehicle. What years are the least painless to swap over??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode