factory option questions on late CJ's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

factory option questions on late CJ\'s

Two things I've always thought would be cool on My 83 Cj would be cruise control and delay wipers. Looking at a 4wd hardware catalog shows a factory intermittent wiper switch for 83-86 Cj's. Does anyone have a Jeep with this factory setup? If so, what does the switch look like and how does it work? Or, does anyone know what would have to changed, such as just adding the switch, or the motor also?
How about cruise control? Did CJ's have this as an option? I have an 84 Cj owner's manual that shows directions on how to operate the cruise, but has anyone ever had/saw one? I realize that there are aftermarket options available for both these, but am more interested in the factory setups, how they worked, how rare they were, or if they even existed. Thanks in advance to any who reply!
Greg

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: factory option questions on late CJ\'s

I have 84 and 86 CJ's with intermittant wipers. The switch looks like the fan switch (oval shaped, not round like the defroster pull lever). One click clockwise operates the wipers slow, another click clockwise operates fast. The intermittant range is variable range in the counterclockwise direction. Full counterclockwise is slow, I'm guessing one wiper pass per 20 seconds. At the other end of the range closest to stop position I'd say the wipers work abount once/second. I haven't had any troubles with the switches and never had to replace them.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. You wouldn't happen to know offhand if a guy could buy the switch for that and just plug it in to the wiring and have delay wipers? I realize it would take a lot of work on your part to check on that, but if it worked I bet a lot of Jeepers would be thrilled to know they could have delay wipers by just buying a new switch(even if they cost 49.99 out of 4wd hardware).
Thanks again,
Greg

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 12:41 AM

Greg-
It's not that easy.
What plugs into the intermitant switch is another story.
My '83's wiring has a harness that plugs into the circular bodied intermitant wiper switch. It consists of an electonic "module" harness that will cost you at least $125.00 from your dealer. It is a box with wiring coming out of both ends of it with plugs on both ends. One side plugs into the intermitant style switch and then goes to the wiper assembly. I thought I had tossed this one and found out how hard (expensive) this was to replace. I had kept it though, luckily, in a hidden box with other wiring that I had stripped from my '83 CJ-7.
Jeepskate suggested I look at other, same era, AMC vehicles in the junk yard to replace this (lost) assembly. I am going to re-use it.
Let me know if you want to learn more.
I also have stock, OEM '83 cruise control diaphram (it bolts onto the driver's side fender well) unit laying around and the original steering column & cruise control lever , manifold hardware, and vacuum brake switch for it if you are seriously interested. It won't work with my MPI stuff but will bolt directly onto a stock, 2 barell manifold - it's cable engages the throttle linkage.
Both of these options and a 19 gallon gas tank were factory installed on my Laredo.

JAF
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. This is just the info I was hoping to get, I love this board. I am going to follow that advice on looking at same era AMC vehicles for the box you mentioned and also a switch. Wish me luck. I remember now that my 79 blzer has a box that is inline with the delay wiper switch. Must have been a common way to do it in those years. I have a 91 4.0 HO motor in my 83, so I can't use the cruise control stuff(or can I?), mostly just wanted that info on the cruise control out of curiousity. Do you ever wish you could walk onto a jeep dealership lot in 19??(fill in the year)and drive a brand new one? Boy I do!
Thanks again
Greg

Greg
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 01:16 AM

I wouldn't have know about a show room Jeep but I did drive a brand new blue metal flake 1969 L-88 396 aluminum headed 425 HP Camero out of my local Farmington NM dealership that I paid the $ 3600.00 sticker price for once apon a time. *Grin* It was HOT!

JAF
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 01:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My '83 Laredo has factory cruise and delay wipers (and tilt wheel & automatic...this thing is practically a Caddilac!). The wiper switch is as explained above. You would have to replace the motor as well as the switch/wiring harness. As far as I can tell, my cruise is factory. It may have been dealer installed though. Some of the plugs and such don't look like they came from the factory like that but this was AMC, you never know![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] (Sorry to all the AMC faithfull, but I worked on cars for a living for 11 years, I've seen some nasty stuff from them.) I would sugest finding a CJ in a junkyard and scavange all the parts you need to install the cruise. There is not only the vaccum unit under the hood, but an extra spedo cable with a sensor, the wiring harness, and an electronic control unit under the dash. It would be alot of work to install this in a Jeep that doesent already have it! Good luck, whatever you decide! If you want to do it and need specific answers, send me an e-mail and I can give you more details to your questions. [grin]

<font color=red>Mike H.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode