1974 CJ5 Heater Controls - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

1974 CJ5 Heater Controls

Does anyone know of a source for 1974 CJ5 Heater Control Cables (3)? I've been thru all the links on my favorites list and no one seems to stock these anymore (even the ones that I KNOW used to sell them). This stuff sems to be harder and harder to find these days [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1974 CJ5 Heater Controls

Try 4wd hardware. They show them for 76 and up but should fit the 74. the length may be different but i believe they will be close enough to work. This is what I plan on doing on my 73 when i get to that stage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:12 PM

I ended up making my original '74 controls work. However, my plan if I hadn't been able to use them was to take a set of the '76 and later cables and shorten them to fit. Actually they may be usable as is, providing you are a little creative in how you run the cables. Let us know what you end up doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The problem with my cables is that the outer jacket is missing/broken in places and allows the inner cable to slide outand not actuate the levers. The difference in the later model cables is in the mounting.....my cables mount below the dash thru a 3/8" round hole. The later model cables mount thru a 1/2"x3/4" rectangular hole and I'm not sure the plastic bracket will take the stress of the larger openings. I haven't had the dash off yet, but I'm not sure I have a place to mount them in the dash where it would be stronger. I got the mounting info on the later model pieces from Krage
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:13 AM

How about using some good manual choke cables? They should fit a 3/8 round hole and if I remember right you can pull the inner wire out and cut the outer to the right length.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:17 AM

That is similar to the problem I had. The jacket around the cable was broken in several places, and the plastic rims that held the cables into the plastic bracket below the dash were busted off. I ended up creating a clamp out of two mending plates (1" x 4" steel with holes in it) and clamping it over both the cables and part of the bracket to hold them in place. For the sheaths I...well....I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this....I used electricians tape to fix the places where it was broken. However, I wasn't missing any pieces from the sheat. It's worked well so far. I also had one of the plastic mounting holes busted off the braket, so I used perforated plumbers tape (metal) and bent it around where the hole was and epoxied it in place. Worked very well.

I didn't realize that the '76 cables mounted differently. I had merely assumed they mounted the same way, but in the dash. Perhaps you could make it work by relocating the cables to the dash. My '74 has a lot of room to do it in.

One other thought is stop by a store that caters to large trucks and equipment. Take the cables in with you, or call first, and see if they have anything compatible. A lot of stuff on my jeep says "Caterpillar" or "Kenworth" or such!

Good luck with it!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A few months back I asked about the plastic mounting piece for the heater controls in my cj-5, and no one knew what I was talking about. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] oh well [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode