front dana 60? external hub drive flanges - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

front dana 60? external hub drive flanges

i've got alittle idea,
and am wondering if there ever was an application for some drive flanged for a Dodge front dana 60 (30 or 35-slpine).........., i'm talking about the external spline style locking hub 60.....there's a couple pictures on one here http://www.geocities.com/lorimaryrose/dodgedana61.html

i'm guessing some could be made?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: front dana 60? external hub drive flanges

I know a guy that has 2 dodge 60's sitting around, I'll ask if he knows anything about the externals solid bull gears.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In short, yes Dodge did use an external drive flange, WHY? do you have the external lock-outs on a dodge 60 and want flanges for peace of mind? I got a Chevy because I wanted internal hubs, and I'm going to get a set of flanges for it just in case too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes they do. i have seen more dodge 60's with the bolt on style flanges than any other. they are nice because they are strong but in a 30 spline setup the stub shafts are the weak point so the extra beef is not needed. i have snapped a 30 spline stub the last two times i have wheeled and it took out the lockout both times. my 60 will not see the trail again until i convert it to 35 spline outers.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

what got me thinking was a picture i seen the newest "4wheel and offroad", one of there top 10 pics is a custom buggy that kind of looks like a toyota.......and it appears to have external hub drive flanges on it....

high5......so you've seen the 30-spline external "slugs", for dodges style 60's? the 35-spline ones are what i'm thinking about, seen that before?
i'm considering going with "drive-flanges and an air-locker" with 35 inners and outers, for the next rear axle i build (a rear-steer dana 60) [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

busted rig........yes i do now have a dodge 60 (i've thought about converting to chevy hubs) but this 60 is going into the front of my daily driver......and the factory external locking hubs are working fine.....just got to much time to think these days..... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have not seen the 35 spline one but that does not mean they don't make them. i have only seen the 30 spliners
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

A friend of mine made some 35 spline outer flanges for his Dodge 60 using 35 spline spider gears. He explained it to me once, but I forgot. Something about pinning and welding. He never broke one and he wheels pretty hard. He has a stretched cj-5 that was narrowed 14 inches. His rig is way cool.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

35 spline flanges, you better give Warn a call.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i don't think warn makes the flanges for the external bolt on style like the dodge used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode