Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   front dana 60? external hub drive flanges (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/143231-front-dana-60-external-hub-drive-flanges.html)

3/4tonYJ 11-12-2002 09:20 AM

front dana 60? external hub drive flanges

i've got alittle idea,
and am wondering if there ever was an application for some drive flanged for a Dodge front dana 60 (30 or 35-slpine).........., i'm talking about the external spline style locking hub 60.....there's a couple pictures on one here http://www.geocities.com/lorimaryrose/dodgedana61.html

i'm guessing some could be made?

**DONOTDELETE** 11-12-2002 09:42 AM

Re: front dana 60? external hub drive flanges

I know a guy that has 2 dodge 60's sitting around, I'll ask if he knows anything about the externals solid bull gears.

**DONOTDELETE** 11-12-2002 02:27 PM

In short, yes Dodge did use an external drive flange, WHY? do you have the external lock-outs on a dodge 60 and want flanges for peace of mind? I got a Chevy because I wanted internal hubs, and I'm going to get a set of flanges for it just in case too.

**DONOTDELETE** 11-12-2002 07:25 PM

yes they do. i have seen more dodge 60's with the bolt on style flanges than any other. they are nice because they are strong but in a 30 spline setup the stub shafts are the weak point so the extra beef is not needed. i have snapped a 30 spline stub the last two times i have wheeled and it took out the lockout both times. my 60 will not see the trail again until i convert it to 35 spline outers.

3/4tonYJ 11-13-2002 09:29 AM

what got me thinking was a picture i seen the newest "4wheel and offroad", one of there top 10 pics is a custom buggy that kind of looks like a toyota.......and it appears to have external hub drive flanges on it....

high5......so you've seen the 30-spline external "slugs", for dodges style 60's? the 35-spline ones are what i'm thinking about, seen that before?
i'm considering going with "drive-flanges and an air-locker" with 35 inners and outers, for the next rear axle i build (a rear-steer dana 60) [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

busted rig........yes i do now have a dodge 60 (i've thought about converting to chevy hubs) but this 60 is going into the front of my daily driver......and the factory external locking hubs are working fine.....just got to much time to think these days..... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 11-13-2002 07:54 PM

i have not seen the 35 spline one but that does not mean they don't make them. i have only seen the 30 spliners

dorfs 11-13-2002 09:16 PM

A friend of mine made some 35 spline outer flanges for his Dodge 60 using 35 spline spider gears. He explained it to me once, but I forgot. Something about pinning and welding. He never broke one and he wheels pretty hard. He has a stretched cj-5 that was narrowed 14 inches. His rig is way cool.

**DONOTDELETE** 11-13-2002 10:32 PM

35 spline flanges, you better give Warn a call.

**DONOTDELETE** 11-13-2002 10:45 PM

i don't think warn makes the flanges for the external bolt on style like the dodge used.