cann't get T176 bolted to 4.0 swap...update!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

cann\'t get T176 bolted to 4.0 swap...update!!

Well, I've tried three times, three different ways to get the 4.0 and the T176 bolted together. First time I had the tranny/xfercase installed in the Jeep and tried to put the 4.0 in. It slid onto the input shaft all the way except for the last inch. Then it hit something solid. So, I take the tranny out and put the engine in, and bolt it down. Then I try to slide thetranny/xfercase into the engine. Again, same results. Third time, I supported the tranny on a makeshift tranny stand and tried to install it. STILL, it won't go the last 3/4 to 1 inch.

I'm thinking that I don't have the clutch aligned exactly. I did use the clutch alignment tool when I put it in, but I must not have got it perfect. The tranny splines are ingaged into the clutch, but I think that the large smooth part of the inputshaft (where the throwout bearing rides at) is hitting the fingers of the clutch housing, thus not letting the shaft engage into the pilotbearing. Does this sound like the problem?

I'll be yanking the 4.0 out this week and trying to put it all together outside the Jeep and then try to lift the whole works in as one unit. I'm REALLY glad that MEL85CJ isn't screaming for her engine lift back yet. This swap is taking way too much time to complete.

Anyone have any suggestions to get this thing bolted up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:57 AM

Re: cann\'t get T176 bolted to 4.0 swap

sometimes that stuffs a pain, id double check that disk alighnment, make sure the tool slides in pretty easily.

also, are you sure you have the proper length bellhousing? just a shot in teh dark,but all of the swap stuff going on, I could see a half inch or so of differnce being a problem there!

good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:59 AM

it sounds like you have the wrong pilot bearing/bushing in the crankshaft.

if you know what i'm talking about, fix it. if you have more questions, post them here.

matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The bellhousing is the sameone that I had. The T176 and bellhousing has been in there for 4 years. The alignment tool fits the pilot bearing. I checked that already. It fits the 4.0 pilot bearing the same as it fits the 258 pilot bearing, so I would ASSuME that it is correct. I'll definately recheck it when I get the engine out and on the ground.

Is it possible to use the tranny without the bellhousing to realign the clutch? I'm thinking that without the bellhousing, I'll have enough room to tighten the clutch housing while the tranny is slid all the way into the engine. Is this possible or am I just dreaming?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:13 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Are you leaving the transmission in gear? If you have it in neutral you'll NEVER get it engaged. The input shaft will just turn whenever you rotate the transmission, trying to get it into the clutch. Put the transmission in gear, and if you have a spare yoke (or just the driveshaft) in the tail of the transmission. Once you have it lined up, rotate the yoke/driveshaft and you should fall together. Don't force it....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well I pulled the engine and tried it without the bellhousing so that I could see what was going on. It turns out that the pilot bushing ID is too small. The alignment tool fits into it with no problem, but the input shaft to the tranny won't. It's real close, maybe a few thousands too small.I'm going to try to open it up with a die grinder and some emerycloth. I'll just go a little at a time until I get a good fit. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:48 AM
85Jeepny

I had a little bit of the same problem on mine. I think Advanced adapters gave me the wrong pilot bearing....I just used a drill and was very carefull and allowed it to fit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:23 PM

Give jeepinmatt 5 gold stars!

(I had a feeling he was right)
1/2" from mateing was the clue ...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:40 AM

Use a small cylinder hone to open it up.A die grinder will egg it out to easily [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I used my die grinder with some emery cloth to "fly" it out for about 1 or 2 seconds. The tranny slid right on. It fits like a glove. I must have had a little burr that I couldn't feel. Like I said, the alignment tool fit OK before, but the burr must have only been big enough to keep the tranny shaft from going in. Now that this issue is solved, it's on with the swap!

Thanks again.

Jaffer - I would give him 5 stars, but it wasn't the wrong pilot bushing. It just had a burr on it. I will give him partial credit for mentioning the right part that was the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode