? pros and cons Ford 9" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
pig

? pros and cons Ford 9\"

I may have found a Ford 9" rear end for my CJ7 and wondering what the pro's and con's are. Im puting a Dana 44 in front I know the R+P probablly wont match what else should I consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 10:17 PM
Old Hand

Re: ? pros and cons Ford 9\"

the 9inch has a very low pinion, you can get high pinion centers but they use an 8.8 ring gear which isnt as strong.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'll second that! Ford 9" do have low pinions! And like mav750 said, you can get HP ones, but they have 8.8 gears and cost 1k a piece!! Too rich for my blood! There is a guy in our club that runs 9" front and rear in his CJ and swears by them. So they can work well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

9" is a dammn good axle, just the low pinion but heck if you run a CV just point that sucker straight to the T-case. They are cheap, very cheap, a lot of gear options and lockers to choose from (full spool is like $100 [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]), you can get custom axles up to 40 splines! the drop-out centers are easy to set-up, and they are almost the same strength as a Dana 60! If you got one RUN IT! great swap for that P.O.S. M20 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] PS- DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE HP 9'S.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Im running a EB 9in and have no problems. The pinion is low but i have no vibes with a non CV shaft. Parts are cheap for the 9in and disk brakes are easy on a 9in. Setup on a 9in couldnt be easier, plus if you ever plan on a long wheeling trip you could always bring a spare 3rd member and if the gears broke just pull the axles and bolt in the spare 3rd member. The biggest thing i dont like is i cant pull the cover once a year and see if anything stupid is going on inside. But then again i havent pull my cover off on my 44 yet so i guess im not to worried about it. If you do go with a 9in, make sure you add a drain plug so you can easily change the oil. I am putting together a 9in, at work, with 35 spline axles and a 35 spline pinion. You want to talk about beefy. With a setup like that you almost have a d60. If not as strong.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:06 AM

I would try for the larger bearing verison, or truck rear end, but any of them are probably strong enouhg, there are several variants of the 9" tho, all slightly different.

the center sections are all pretty much teh same tho, and like already stated, very good race car following so LOTS of cheap parts!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:17 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Anybody installed a 9" in a CJ5?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:48 PM

Drew:

The 9" is shorter than the AMC 20 (axle centerline to u-joint yoke distance) so you'll be able to get a longer driveshaft in. Mine is in a '7, but I gained probably 2" of driveshaft length, which should be a great improvement on a '5.

Ken Linzmeyer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode