T18 to Chevy Bellhousing no problem 30.00 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
pig

T18 to Chevy Bellhousing no problem 30.00

Got my T18 last week from a 78 F250 2wd also picked up a Chevy truck bell housing going by Novak adapters info. I read somewhere to use a truck bell housing, well the bore in the truck bell measures 5.125 and the pilot on the T18 measures 4.812 so I was gonna make a sleeve and press it on then I went on flea bay (e bay) and found one from a corvette with the 168 tooth fly wheel 11" clutch with a 4.687 bore 30.00 + 8.50 shiping since I run a CNC vertical turret lathe for a living it will be no problem to bore it too 4.812 slip fit I could have also turned the pilot from the T18 since I have to turn it down to fit the GM throw out bearing. The bolt holes line up nice and theres an undrilled ear on the T18 in the perfect spot to drill and tap to match the Chevy bell ,so screw =Ad$$$$$$ adapters! Next Im going to see what it will take to put my Dana 300 to it ,I know Novak makes an adapter for around 375.00 but since I work for a very large gear and transnission mfg. Im gonna try to make my own (we have the technology! Startrek) I heard that the T18 will bolt directlly to a T176 bellhousing I have 2 of them so Ill try it tommorow and let you know. Have a nice muddy day! Pig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: T18 to Chevy Bellhousing no problem 30.00

The T-176 isn't a direct bolt on, at least mine isn't? I got one from a 258 maybe the one behind a 304 has the larger index for the bearing retainer? plus you will have to drill and tap holes, 1 at least right by the clutch fork, most shops use a special stud ran from the inside-out. Should be a breeze for you. I'm very interested in the Chevy bellhousing trick, keep us informed, I'm swapping in a SBC soon and might not want to sell my T-18 [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Thanks for the info.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
pig

I tried my T176 bellhousings on the Ford T18 today they are both from a 258 and it was a PERFECT direct bolt on the throw out bearing fit perfectlly also the only difference I could find is the trans. input to engine shaft pilot is one half inch shorter on the Ford T18 than the T176 an adapter can be made to grow the T18 pilot by half an inch by any wanna be machinst on a hobby lathe in less than an hour , even though Im not gonna use my 304 Im gonna spin out an adapter and try it just to make sure Im right Ill let ya know soon. Im working 12 hours a day now and don't have a lot of time to play but I should be able to do it in the next week and Ill let ya know 100% for sure. Im 99% sure the T176 to a 258 bell is the same as a T 176 to an AMC V8 I know there are 18 different versions of the T18 used by Jeep according to Novak adapters and three different ones used by Ford and someone else. My T18 has the numbers 13-01 on the side its from a 78 F250 2 WD . Just checked out Novak real quick and Jeep has 14 diffrerent versions of the T18 and a few of them are not direct bolt on's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 360 and T-18 from a J-20 so I'm dealing with a whole different animal, the bearing retainer itself is larger then the ford and cj T-18 so I have to get the T-176 whole enlarged, now the T-150 is a perfect fit for me but I don't have one of those [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I need to know about all the mods you do to the chevy bellhousing, thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode