YJ - Best way to fit 31's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

YJ - Best way to fit 31\'s

I think I'll probably try to grab some 31"s around Christmas time and was wondering what the best ay to fit them would be.

Suspension lift is out for right now..I'm saving my pennies for a 3.5" BDS or something similar so I only have to do the suspension once.
But in the mean time I was gonna try and get a hold of some 31's and wanted to know the easiest and/or cheapest way of getting them on without eating the fenders too much.

Would a 1" body lift or a similar shackle lift be sufficient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ - Best way to fit 31\'s

Try a 1in body lift... get a good one... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I agree with muddynut, find a good 1" bodylift. Any bigger and it's hideous! I went with the Daystar 1" bodylift/mount kit. It's worked great! Then you could maybe slap some TJ flares on there also and probably run 31's with a decent amount of room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Second the TJ flares! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:13 AM

2 inch BDS spring lift, do the SOA when it is time for new axles. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
waste not, want not.

or a body lift.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:48 AM
Norwayjeeper

I have 31" on my -88 YJ with no lift at all. Have done some offroading, but suprisingly enough it actually rub wery little . I have not disconnected the swaybar, so if you plan to do that i`m sure it will rub some more. But if you want 31" only for the look to begin with (and light offroading), there should not be a problem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let see...1- Daystar 1" body mount lift sounds perfect, 2- run TJ flares and do some minor fender trimming, just looks better in my opinion, 3- get new shackles for the smallest amount of lift possible, hopefully 1", Daystar also has these with greaseable bushings [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. The cheapset route could be the fender swap just depends if you can find some good used ones, but each mod. will probably cost around the same amount to do. I'd guess $150.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

From reading all the replies I think I'm going to nab a 1" body lift and then hit the boneyards around here for some TJ flares.
I can do all the work myself, so labor cost isn't an issue.

I bought the YJ with some LT235/75/R15's on it and since then I've wheeled it a decent amount and even this size of tire is eating the front flares a little bit, though I suspect it's probably due to the crushed bump stops from one of the owners before me.

Ultimately I won't be going any taller than 33's because this is my only vehicle and will be for a few years to come so I need to keep it somewhat well-mannered for the street.
By the time I have the extra cash for a 3.5" lift, the 31's will be worn out which is my reason for not jumping directly to a suspension lift right now.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:09 PM
Pog

Re: Thanks guys.

Yea the one inch body lift seems to be best for you seeing how your springs are probably well used that's why you get rubbing with the dinky tires on it now [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Thanks guys.

HOH!!! you're eating the fenders with 235's. Screw the body lift go ahead and get new springs and bumpstops. If your springs are that bad then the 1" lift isn't going to help at all with 31's. Personally I'd only get the 2" BDS lift if I were you, that way you can run the 31's clean, and when you want to go big just do a SOA with those springs. It'll clear 35's later on. Fix your Jeep the right way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode