Optima Red or Yellow top - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Optima Red or Yellow top

I know this has been covered before but I cannot find it.

I have a pretty stock jeep but have plans of running a winch in the future. I am getting ready to replace the battery and want the best so I am looking at optimas. Which one is the best choice. The only other electric item I am thinking of adding are some lights on the bumper.. any Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 04:31 PM
jumpinNrollin

Re: Optima Red or Yellow top

Go for over-kill like I did and add both [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]! I added a dual system and put all the "stock" stuff on the Red top and my winch and any xtras or "high drain" stuff on the Yellow top. Besides, if my Red top ever dies, I can just jump myself (did I really just say that?).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Old Hand

I just bought the blue top. It was cheaper than the yellow. I think they are identical as far as power and deep cycling go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Old Hand

When you run a dual system the 2 batteries are supposed to be identical, redtop and yellow top are not identical. Which pretty much means your not reaping any benefits from the yellow top.

Another thing to consider is when running dual batteries you should use the primary battery for your lights, winches etc, and when you are going to use the WINCH SWITCH from dual batteries to SINGLE (primary) to isolate the 2nd (backup) incase you do drain your primary, then you just hit he switch and you can drive again and it will start charging the primary again..

That's the "ideal" way to do it atleast [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I`m going for Red Top Myself... cheaper to get [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I live in a place where it gets really cold, and that is why I went with the Red Top. Also I don't have plans to run any high drain items for a while. The Red Top delivers more cold cranking amps than the yellow, but the yellow is better for long drain items like lights sterio, and such. If you are going to add high drain items soon, and you don't live where it gets real cold I would go with the yellow. But no fear, they are both exellent products. You can't go wrong with ether.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

WHat about the Yellow top being a deep cycle batery. How will it react to being charged all the time? I know our deep cycle Boat batery did not hold up hell because I kept it at full charge and never ran it down much.

Olin it gets in the teens around here for about 3 weeks in the winter. that is it. Why would the yellow not do as well in the cold??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio, Don't get me wrong the Yellow top will pretty much outstart any other batery on the market. It is an exellent product. But the Red top has a few more cold cranking amps. And if it only gets in the teens for a few week, then you have nothing to worry about. Here in the northeast, it is not uncommon to have to start the Jeep when the outside temp is in the -20 range. That is cold, and engines don't like to turn over, you need all the juice to the starter you can muster. The Yellow top will be up for anything you can throw at it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:08 AM
utahjeepr

Get an Odyssey battery. Much better than the Optima. I have used Optimas myself (dual red top), but they have problems recovering from heavy drain (like high load, long duration winching) and they sometimes go dead for no apparent reason. When that happens, you can't even jump start your vehicle without disconnecting the Optimas entirely. Seems like they short out internally somehow and they will not produce voltage (like a dead cell or two) but when you hook up the cables to jump, the optimas act like a freakin load bank and just absorb the charge from the outside source.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:23 AM
tom3

I have the yellow top, about 5 years old. I have noticed this battery seems to work better with a long slow charge rather than the high amp charge of the alternator. For the high current loading of a winch and rapid recharge I'd think the red top would be much better. The yellow top is maybe better for long slow drain of radios, lights, computer standby, etc. Darn good batteries though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone have the site for the odyssey bateries I have never heard of them and cannot find the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode