Cooling question - Mine blows out the radiator.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 06:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cooling question - Mine blows out the radiator....

hey all,

I had an electric fan ever since I put my 305 in my jeep. I have always had an over heating problem.

This coming weekend is my last trip until I get the tub swap done. I decided to put a flex fan on the motor but I have a surpentine belt setup so the fan goes the wrong way (I got the fan for free). I turned it around and its now blowing the air out the radiator (opposite direction).

We left it run for 30 minutes or so and it stayed at 160 instead of the normal 210-220.

Will this be ok for my weekend? I trailer the jeep to the trail so I won't have to worry about highway speeds. Just crawling in the rocks of paragon....

I don't really want to put out the extra money for a fan right now... What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Cooling question - Mine blows out the radiator....

Sound ok to me. I've seen stationary engines that blow rather than suck through the radiator. As long as you really mean CRAWL you're pretty close to stationary.

You're gonna get a lecture on that flex fan here, they suck. Wait a minute, bad choice of slang. They're not very good. The electric should be a lot better, possibly you've got an undersized one? I'd be looking for a different long term solution.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Before ANYBODY gets on me about the flex fan, Please read my post. It says that I am just trying to get past this last wheeling trip for the year. I will be taking the flex fan back off after this trip and purchasing a better electric setup.

I would like for people to only help with question, not with automatically thinking that I am rich and can afford a new electric fan today, or any other option.

I do appreciate any and all suggestions that pertain to my problem [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When I say crawl, I will be driving from the staging area to the trail. At that point we will be crawling all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure your water pump is turning the right way. They come clockwise and counter clock wise. Ralph
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Official Curmudgeon

READ? When I was a little boy, I was taught that I had 2 ears and only one mouth, so I should listen twice as much as I talked. Extending that same theory, I have 2 eyes and 9 fingers to type with, so I should type 4 1/2 times as much as I read. Right?

I also read your profile and saw you had SOA, 35" inch tires and I think 4" spring lift. I also read that you said you were going to be on rocks, so sucking air into the engine compartment shouldn't be too big a problem. If you sat low and were driving in the dust bowl, I might be concerned about sucking dirt into the engine compartment and up around the air cleaner. I also don't think you'll get any better ground adhesion though, like that race car I can't remember the name of from a bunch of years ago.

*edit* OK, I found it. It was the Jim Hall Chaparral 2J nicknamed the "vacuum cleaner".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode