Auto Trans is locked up need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Auto Trans is locked up need help

I think my TF999 is locked up all all the time. I was driving it yesterday and when I came down to a stop it died. I could restart it, but when it put it in gear it stopped. I finally made it home by reving the enging and dropping it into gear. It spun the tire and off I went. It shifted fine and all was well over about 15mph, but when I came a light, made a sharp turn I had to drop it to neutral or it would stall.

My kick down linkage has been binding up with the shifter linkage. Could this be the problem or do I bigger things wrong (torque converter... etc.). Tonight I pulled the old linkage out and started to put a lokar cable kickdown linkage (had it for a month but was too lazy to install it). Hopefully this will solve the problem. If not any other suggestions?

Thanks

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Auto Trans is locked up need help

The kickdown in not your problem. I would be more inclined to think the torque converter. Below cerain RPM's (stock is usually about 800), the torque converter acts like a clutch. As the RPM increases, the hydraulic fluid starts to 'couple' to the tranmission gears. If the converter was locked up for some reason, then it would cause the problem your having.

How is the idle? A common problem is to have a bad idle and the result is the same as what you are describing. Try this...adjust you idle down until it stalls...it should be 500 RPM...if you can idle fine there, then it looks like your tranny...if you can't idle down to 500...then you need to fix that.

Let us know what you find.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I checked the idle and it will idle at 500 RPM with no trouble. If I pull on the kick down linkage from the carb, it locks up and stalls. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you know it you have a lock up converter or not? If so the converter clutch could be locked up or just even simply the converter clutch valve might be stuck. And it dies when you are in neutral and pull the kickdown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode