Drive Shaft Angle Problem (SOA Conversion) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drive Shaft Angle Problem (SOA Conversion)

Ok heres the problem -
I took my cj7 to a well known/respected 4x4 joint to get a spring over installed and everything was going smoothly until they went to put the rear driveshaft in and noticed the angle on that sucker. Anyway the guy says that because my jeep has a 350 v8 with a toyota 5spd g/box and l/cruiser diffs, the angle of the driveshaft is going to make it vibrate because toyota g/boxes sit lower in standard l/cruisers. So what this means, he said, is that they need to drop the g/box down about 1". But to drop the g/box down the engine has to move forwards to stop the distributer from hitting the firewall. I asked how much all this would cost and he gave me a figure around $4000. Well, clutching my chest, I said if it's gotta be done it's gotta be done, but Ill do it at home myself. But thinking about it over the w/end I was thinkin about high angle drive shafts (cardinal drive shafts) and wondered if this could be a cheaper quicker fix to the problem. I rang the guy and he said something about, It could still vibrate and not fix the problem properly. I dont really know much about these types of driveshafts but I know they are usally used in this sort of situation.
So my question is: Will a high angled driveshaft fix my problem or is this guy just trying to take me for a ride? Do these driveshafts work properly at high speeds? or are they mainly used for SOA rock crawlers and other slower SWB vehicles?
Any help will be greatly appreciated both for me and my wallet [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:08 AM

Re: Drive Shaft Angle Problem (SOA Conversion)

A CV (also called Double Cardan) type shaft will fix your problems,,,, and cost you about 275 bucks (USD).

For 3 grand, I'll fly down there with a shaft and install it for you,,,, [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

We can walk you through what to buy and the install. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Drive Shaft Angle Problem (SOA Conversion)

Aaron...DO NOT drop the tranny...as stated, go with the CV driveshaft.
In fact, the CV is the only way to go. After spending many an hour trying to get rid of vibration with only 3 1/2" of lift, the cv driveshaft fixed it. With an SOA, I don't think you could get enough drop in the tranny to solve the problem.

Note: when you go with the CV, the axle alignment is totally different. The pumpkin needs to point straight at the tailshaft of the xfer case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode